Engine stutter and stop - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-18, 08:12 AM   #1

Default Engine stutter and stop

Hi
I've googled and searched here and it seems comforting to know that I think my problem is not in isolation!
My 207 is a Diesel van from 2009. It's done 130,000 miles and up until recently had been regularly serviced. However for the last couple of years it's only had oil top ups.
The last service, about 6 months ago was due to the engine cutting out whilst driving. The dashboard gave a non-specific message relating to emissions. It restarted after leaving it a minute. It then went to the garage, they found no clues in the log, did a nice big service and it has been driving very well since.
In fact, it seems to perform well and the economy hasn't been better (about 700 miles for a tank before the low fuel light comes on).

Yesterday driving on the M40 it suffered a loss of power and deceleration, like I'd pressed the brake for about 1s. Power recovered, then engine light came on, but seemed completely normal - for about another mile.
Then there was loss of power again but just normal deceleration as if you took your foot of the gas. I dipped the clutch to see what was going on and the engine revs went to 0. Clutch out and pulled over and coasted to the nearest telephone box.

I got my recovery docs out of the glove box and then tried the engine. It started, no engine warning light, and I continued home normally as if nothing had happened.
I have an OBD scanner thing that reported just a glowplug relay fault which seems persistent even though the garage changed it during the service (they found the fault too). Is this relevant, don't know.

It is a company vehicle and I've told my boss that if it happens again then it's going into the garage until they FIND a fault. I do not want to drive something that can just stop randomly.
What does the panel think?
TIA.
GraemeP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-18, 09:48 AM   #2

You may want to check if your vehicle needed, or has had this fix applied?
If not & it's in the VIN range, then it could cause the symptoms you describe:

Vehicle Details
Reference : R/2011/167
Manufacturer Ref : ZDB
Make: PEUGEOT
Model : 207
Launch Date : 15/12/2011
Numbers Involved : 106
Build Start Date : 01/09/2010
Build End Date : 06/10/2011
Recall Details
Concern : ENGINE MAY CUT OUT
Description : The use of incorrect torque wrenches for tightening a terminal, may have damaged internal components in the Engine Electrical Power Supply Management Unit (BSM). This could result in the engine cutting out.
Remedial Action : Recall all the affected vehicles and replace the engine BSM unit.
Vehicle Id : VF3******AW091545 to VF3******BW064194
Other Vehicles Affected (Click the vehicle to perform an extended search)
PEUGEOT - 207
Hammerter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-18, 10:56 AM   #3

Thanks. I just checked and my VIN is VF3******9E0*****. I think that makes it earlier than these.

Old 07-08-18, 11:23 AM   #4

Probably still worth phoning your local Peugeot dealer & asking if any recalls / "Quality Improvements" are outstanding on your van?
If they are, then they should still be free & might just fix this problem

I had a very similar sounding issue to yours with my old 2009 207 1.6HDI 90 hatchback when it was about 2 years old & it was fixed under warranty for free. It wasn't on the official 'list of affected vehicles' either, but was obviously affected

Worth a try, nothing to lose?
Old 07-08-18, 02:49 PM   #5

Hi. I called them. There are no recalls for my vehicle.
How did you convince them to fix your 2009 207 HDi 90 (which is the same as my van) if it wasn't on the official list of affected vehicles? Was it a recall, or something broken?
Old 07-08-18, 03:02 PM   #6

When it was around 2 years old (i.e. still in warranty) I experienced random engine cutouts (initially about a month apart, then got more frequent), just driving along and engine would cut-out, would re-start as soon as I stopped and cranked it. No warning lights I seem to remember.
So reported the symptoms to a Peugeot garage.
They said was a recognised problem, changed the engine bay fuse box and it never happened again.
My symptoms look very like the recall I showed you
Old 07-08-18, 03:38 PM   #7

It does indeed.
Is the engine bay fuse box related to an individual circuit or many that can cause the same sort of problem?
Could it be something that can be tackled by an enthusiast (of the lesser variety)?
Old 07-08-18, 04:32 PM   #8

I didn't see the old fuse box when it was removed
From what I read, a bolt in the fuse box was done up too tight in the factory, which split something (the circuit board it was bolted to?), months / years later it lead to this type of failure

Even as an amateur, you should be able to locate the fuse box (far right as you look at the car from the front), a few clips to remove the top cover.
Then, using fingers not metal object(!), try to find a bolted connector of some sort and look / inspect

This of course would be best done with battery dis-connected! There is a proper procedure on the forum for doing this - try searching for "3 minute rule" or see here

I believe this box is not just a fuse box, underneath it somewhere are relays etc and maybe even a circuit board?
I didn't fiddle too much with my new fuse box once the car was working properly again

Last edited by Hammerter; 07-08-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-08-18, 04:52 PM   #9

Take pictures with your phone if you disconnect anything
Compare with these pics to make sure you put back together properly

DO disconnect battery first! Wrap one battery terminal lead in a cloth so no chance of it touching battery as you are investigating
Reconnect battery leads right way round when you finish!! (take pic of battery with phone before disconnection so you can check)

Only attempt doing things you are confident in reversing
Don't blame me if it all goes wrong!!
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in