Engine ECU locked - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-18, 10:49 AM   #1
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb
Default Engine ECU locked

Hi,

I've been visiting with pp2k a 207 (1.6 HDi, 9HZ) that won't start -- as I understand it because the engine ECU is showing as locked.

There are two BSIs, two ECUs, and three keys!

PP2k won't read one of the ECUs. It is presumed dead and to be the reason why a second one was obtained.

The 4-letter code is present and was used to programme successfully 2 of the 3 keys.

However the car still won't start.

I'm not entirely sure what "engine ECU locked" means, or indeed what needs to be done about it.

What I did notice in parameter measurements in the engine ECU is that the value for problems detected when transmitting the unlock code normally has value not defined but periodically briefly flashes BSI response incorrect.

The help text says check that the programmed electronic immobiliser code in the engine management control is the same as the one programmed in the BSI

My interpretation is that I need to put the 4 letter code into the engine ECU in order to ensure that it is the same as the one in the BSI and which was used to programme the keys. However, I cannot see anywhere to do this.

I suspect that the dead ECU is the one that matches the current BSI and 4-letter code. In this case the working ecu matches the other BSI for which we do not have the 4-letter code (but do have a 4-letter word).

Any suggestions?!
Attached Thumbnails
locked.jpg   locked-ecu.jpg   locked-ecu-1.jpg  
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-04-18, 09:09 PM   #2

The thombnails you have attached are far too small to read. Best is to look online for 'free image sharing', upload to there and then copy and past the [img] tags in your post. This way we can see the messages. unless for some reason it is not showing the correct images for me?

On observations, as you say, ECU and BSI need to be coded together for the car to work.

best thing would have been to get the ECU and BSI from the same car and then try them both.

where are you based?

ECU locked means couple of things, I am not fully peugeot clued up, but :

1) in Vauxhall cars, ECU locked means you can't make any changes to the ECU. You need the ECU code, to unlock it to make changes to it. You do that by doing into the ECU and enter security code. In peugeot it might be different.

2) It could be that the BSI and ECU aren't coded together and the ECU is gone into safety/immobilised so that the car doesn't start.

When you say car doesn't start, does it turn over at all but doesn;t start or does it not even turn over?

As regards to coding them together, you seem to have the code for the immobiliser/BSI. Isn't there a code for the actual ECU as well to enable programming of the ECU?

You might have to look in actuator tests or in diagnostics somewhere to reset the ECU/BSI or programme the ECU/BSI.

I had a vauxhall that had done the same thing and someone had tried to push start the car. With some of the vauxhalls, if you did that the BSI would lose its data and then you had to reset it. you would get a warning to say clearing the BSI can stop the car from working if code is not correct, but if the car is not running, you are not going to get any worse?

Last edited by nariman1977; 30-04-18 at 09:23 PM.
nariman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-04-18, 09:21 PM   #3

Hi there got your pm, i had a problem like that on my 307 a while back after some water damage to the bsi. Tried everything, in the emd i ended up having the ecu unlocked, they basically bypass the immobiliser from what i gathered... that was the only way i got it to work. It was a long while ago so i dont remember details amd i havemt owned a pug for a while but definitely sure that was the solution. I got it done with the guys at hdi tuning, top service and the ecu was back woth me in a couple of days. Email them at [email protected] and enquire, hope that helps u
cisco307HDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-04-18, 09:35 PM   #4

ECU locked is the ECU is not getting the correct or any unlock code from the BSI. Either the BSI's & ECU's are mixed up or BSI may not be configured to correct ECU type etc (check coding matches car spec etc)

Does the beep test work, If yes BSI is seeing keys so I would then swap Engine ECU's over and see if the ECU unlocks.

Another option maybe to get faulty BSI flash read and copied/cloned to new BSI
Old 30-04-18, 09:41 PM   #5

couple of videos on youtube:

1)

2)
nariman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-04-18, 09:53 PM   #6

Bsi needs to match the key as in beep test so coding keys to BSI sorts that BUT THE ECU needs to match the BSI you CANNOT use the wrong ecu with a different BSI

ALL 3 must match key BSI and ECU

From what you have said you need the 4 digit code for the replacement ecu set then it will unlock the ecu

ECU locked means it wont start it will unlock when all the codes match planet cannot recode ecus to different BSIs
Old 30-04-18, 10:02 PM   #7

As it was mentioned - beep test if keys are 'married' to the car. Check please the most silly things like fuses.

What faults PP is reading, what is the history of your car, why stoped working or pug was non runner from the begining. New engine ecu need to be reprogramed if was replaced. If I am correct the key code can be readed from you VIN number.
Old 30-04-18, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post
Hi,

I've been visiting with pp2k a 207 (1.6 HDi, 9HZ) that won't start -- as I understand it because the engine ECU is showing as locked.

There are two BSIs, two ECUs, and three keys!

PP2k won't read one of the ECUs. It is presumed dead and to be the reason why a second one was obtained.

The 4-letter code is present and was used to programme successfully 2 of the 3 keys.

However the car still won't start.

I'm not entirely sure what "engine ECU locked" means, or indeed what needs to be done about it.

What I did notice in parameter measurements in the engine ECU is that the value for problems detected when transmitting the unlock code normally has value not defined but periodically briefly flashes BSI response incorrect.

The help text says check that the programmed electronic immobiliser code in the engine management control is the same as the one programmed in the BSI

My interpretation is that I need to put the 4 letter code into the engine ECU in order to ensure that it is the same as the one in the BSI and which was used to programme the keys. However, I cannot see anywhere to do this.

I suspect that the dead ECU is the one that matches the current BSI and 4-letter code. In this case the working ecu matches the other BSI for which we do not have the 4-letter code (but do have a 4-letter word).

Any suggestions?!
If the ECU was replaced then the immobiliser codes will be lost.
A manual BDM backup read of the original ECU restored onto the new ECU should fix this

wbr
Shooting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-04-18, 10:56 PM   #9

Hi as the previous post says, if you have had to replace the ecu that might be your issue... from previous experience you would need to change the immobiliser transponder the bsi and the ecu all together, or get a blank ecu and have it all matched. If you have just swapped the ecu from another car then the ecu will still match the previous vehicle and will not work with your vehicle. The pp I had was quite limited with options and wouldn’t work that’s why I prefer to work with diagbox it’s easier to work with and I found had many more options and easier to navigate.. ...I found when using pp that it wouldn’t find my ecu It could well be the case that your original ecu is perfectly fine and pp was just unable to read from it... where are you located if you are close enough I could possibly arrange to meet and hook it up to diagbox ?
JDAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-18, 11:30 AM   #10

Default Additional Information

Many thanks for the reply's so far. Please let me add some additional information.

The car is actually mine, Richard "rwb" on here is trying to help me get it running. I took the car in lieu of a debt for some non car related work I did for its previous owner. It was a last resort to get some money back. I knew it was a non starter.

The car previously had an ecm problem where water had crept up the loom from the engine and damaged the ecm. A common problem I believe. The previous owner bought an exact part number match replacement bsi/ecm/key set from another car and says he swapped them all over to the non starting car as a set. He says he swapped them several times so he may have got confused as to which is which?

I am told all the replacement set is on the car but I have no way of knowing if this is correct. Certainly the "old" ecm looks to be water tarnished around its terminals and it will not communicate with PP2k. I don't know which bsi unit is the right one for the ecm in the car. I believe the right one is in the car but does anyone know how to check?

There are 3 keys with the car, a matching pair and another different key but I don't know which key is from which set. One of the matching pair of keys has been learnt by the bsi unit or I assume they have as the car beeps when you open the drivers door after trying to start it. The single key wont accept the bsi learning and the second from the matching pair may or not have been learnt as it does not beep as it should. One beep functioning key is enough at this stage.Interestingly both key types open the doors and turn the ignition switch.

The car turns over ok and the lights, windows and manual central locking from the key all works. It just won't start, its not firing. PP2K shows the ecm as being locked which I assume is why it won't start?

The The car display does say economy mode, is this significant at this stage or just an issue for later?

I don't have the registration or vin number for the donor car for the bsi/ecm/key set.

Please can anyone else make any further suggestions now that I have added this information?

I need to get the problem solved and preferably at relatively low cost otherwise I won't get back any of the money am I owed for the work I originally did for the previous owner.

Thanks.
twocossiebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in