Egr clean / replace STUCK AIRBOX - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-17, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Egr clean / replace STUCK AIRBOX

Hi guys i attempted the egr removal on my 207 1.6 hdi sport yesterday and was unsuccessfull in getting it off
The main issue was access
To get at it i really needed to remove the air filter box from the back of the engine. But the gap between the bottom of thr windscreen and the top of the engine was too tight. I tried everything,
Removed the grill and thr water collection tray and was about to remove the sound proofing from in the engine bay before i thought it was too much hassle and i knew i still wouldnt be able to get it out with that gone
Anyone any suggestions? I could just about access the silly clip holding one pipe on. But without the 'special' e clip pliers and just my adjustable slim pliers.... it was too cramped to squeeze the stupid clip... never mind getting the 2 bolts out the egr

Anyone any advice please

May attempt it again
Might buy the proper pliers... then the screw type repoacement for the clip

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
img_6183_1507110010175.jpg   img_6184_1507110030308.jpg   img_6185_1507110056908.jpg  
KinWills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-17, 05:14 PM   #2

I had to replace a small coolant hose down under there [same sort of spot you are trying to access] that was held on by by one of those silly clips on my 407. I have a pliers to do this but could not get it to work because of a total lack of space. I think the hose would have been fitted to the engine before it was assembled in the car, with no real thought put into how it could be replaced afterwards...
Anyway, I managed to get my Dremel into the gap with a small cutting disc and cut through it, remove the hose and replace hose/clamp with a screw type clamp which could be tightened with a small socket wrench.
Bloody stupid design to put what are essentially service items totally out of reach IMO... also like the glow plugs on my 407 2.0HDi..
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-17, 05:33 PM   #3

Yeah i think that might be the way to go. Just cut it off! I had a look at the glow plugs whilst i was in ther and omg im not looking forward to doing that job (getting a code up for glow plugs so needs doing sooner or later)
It would be a massive help if i just knew how to get that b*****rd air box out !!

Old 05-10-17, 12:54 AM   #4

Don't just assume the glow plugs are faulty because of a code. A lot of the time the code is a bit of a phantom, seems to be an issue with a lot of the pirate Lexia kits from ebay. Test their resistance with a multimeter at the glow plug relay [remove the relay and read each glow plug lead. Assuming of course each has a separate lead..]

Last edited by WillNZ; 05-10-17 at 01:06 AM.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-17, 02:25 PM   #5

Remove the battery and tray liner - frees up a lot more space needed to ease the airbox out at an angle over the top of the EGR valve which should be unplugged to stop the box catching. It's a bit of a wriggle once popped out of the bottom bungs but there is clearance without the battery and battery surround there. You already have your fuel filter unit removed which would have been the other part I'd suggest taking off. Move the box to the right, tilt and it will wriggle out trying to snag on anything it can! You then have space to do quite a bit around the back, EGR removal, glow plug changes, access to fuel unions on the accumulator rail, EGR heat exchanger removal etc.
DieselDaveUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-17, 06:56 AM   #6

thanks for that dieselDaveUK - will try that over the next couple days because im off work. tempted to buy these pliers from ebay...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cl...=1507701077660
can get them for around 5 - 6
I have got them then. I can do the job again, or for someone else. I also have a pug 3008, with the same 1.6 hdi engine so Im guessing the setups the same
even tho the access looks EVEN worse on that.

Peugeot quoted me 700 to change EGR and sort the glow plugs.... F**k that !! their top technician told me ...do it myself winkwink..
he said take it off and clean it with mister muscle.
would anyone recommend this above EGR cleaner from the garage (9.99)

thanks again will keep you posted with some pictures
Old 12-10-17, 12:32 AM   #7

Presumably you had removed the wipers, scuttle plastic and plastic cross member (after releasing the brake header reservoir and insulation pinned to it?). Mr Muscle is used by many diesel owners to clean turbos, EGR valves and other parts purely because it is a very caustic product and burns through exhaust deposits effectively as it does to carbon in an oven. The only warning I would add is that some types of plastics and rubbers are not Mr Muscle proof and on rare occasions can be damaged by such a product. An EGR valve on a Pug is a pretty basic electro-mechanical part and a quick Mr Muscle spray left for no more than 30 minutes before rinsing should still work effectively. I have noticed that many of these valves seem to stick at the top of the spindle groove and I would have thought a light sand with something suitable to widen the groove at the top ever so slightly may help eliminate this. You can get new EGRs for these engines for around 50 however.

Pliers may be useful bit the clips are easy to remove with a thin flat blade screw driver although a PITA to put back on - not a problem if you get a couple of screw type clips.

I have just done an EGR clean and injector seal change (including refreshing the bore tubes so the new washers seat well and using the newer rubber top seal versions which actually seal against the injector bodies instead of just against the injector top plastic spacer ring - much better). I also Loctite the injector nut collars before torquing as they have a tendency to slacken off over time letting the 'Black Death' (liquid carbon mix) push up past the copper seal into the injector tubes where it solidifies - nasty stuff!
DieselDaveUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in