Economy Mode - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-04-13, 02:53 PM   #1

Default Economy Mode

A fewdays ago when I got in the car I noticed the clock was around 4 hours slow. I reset it and it's been fine since. However, when I switched the ignition on 'economy mode active' was displayed. Thought the battery may be a bit low as I hadn't used the car for a few days so I gave it a run for about 30 mins.

Booked it in to the local dealer who ran some diagnostics on it and said battery had a good reading and it was charging OK. Didn't use it again yesterday and when I switched the ignition on, I got the economy mode message again. Seems like the battery is losing juice if I don't use the car, and I don't want to be in a position where it won't start. If dealer says diagnostics were OK should I be concerned? Car is just coming up to two years old with 20k mileage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
zambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-13, 03:06 PM   #2

If your car is going into economy mode regularly this is usually a sign the battery is getting tired economy mode shuts off all non essential electrical items to try and maintain a good power level in the battery but it should not come on regularly.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-13, 04:18 PM   #3

It's either a failing battery or something is drawing current when the car is switched off draining the battery. The battery could well be charging fine and giving good readings when tested but if it isn't left to stand for some time after being run then the test results mean nothing. If it can't hold it's charge it needs replacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-04-13, 05:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. Yes, just by driving the car to the dealer could be enough to ensure that the readings are OK. I just didn't want to just get a new battery and find that there is something else which is causing the battery not to hold the charge. I'm assuming that the diagnostic equipment would have been able to identify any other problem.

Not sure if relevant, but the car was subject of a recall programme to replace a battery cable (think it was earth) a couple of months back.

http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars...call-2012.aspx

Last edited by zambo; 28-04-13 at 05:48 PM.
Old 28-04-13, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambo View Post
Thanks for the comments. Yes, just by driving the car to the dealer could be enough to ensure that the readings are OK. I just didn't want to just get a new battery and find that there is something else which is causing the battery not to hold the charge. I'm assuming that the diagnostic equipment would have been able to identify any other problem.

Not sure if relevant, but the car was subject of a recall programme to replace a battery cable (think it was earth) a couple of months back.

RecallUK - Peugeot 207 Battery Cable Recall
This is a long shot but the Autodata software lists common faults and one that I've seen a few times is where one of the cables not being fully on the battery posts can cause some problems. Might just be an idea to check the cables are fully down on the posts, the posts and connectors are clean and the quick release connectors are fully locked on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29-04-13, 04:23 PM   #6

All looks good in those areas. Noticed something else today, and that is when I open driver's door mileage data comes on, then goes off until I turn ignition on. Also when I open or close door with ignition off, speedo needle moves up slightly and then down again. Normally when I turn ignition off and get out of the car that display stays on for a couple of minutes.

Definitely something weird going on. I'm just wondering now if the dealer messed something up when they changed the earth return battery cable, which according to the recall notes was the wrong spec.

I've had a couple of bad experiences with this particular dealer, so I'm trying to find a decent mechanic in the area who can check out the problem and come up with the right diagnosis.
Old 25-05-13, 08:10 PM   #7

Had this problem looked at by the dealer twice (once when they kept the car overnight) and once by independent garage. Dealer said although battery was charging at 14.4v it was lower on charge than it should be, so thet charged it up. Been OK for a couple of weeks (no economy mode displayed) but came back today.

I'm not that fussed if the car is going to start OK, and I was informed that once the battery gets down to a certain level it will stop giving out a charge anyway. My concern is that if that isn't true, then I'm going to get to the point when there is not enough chrage in the battery to start the car. This is in my mind now because I'm going on holiday soon and the car won't be used for a couple of weeks. I could stick a new battery in, but if it's not the battery that is the problem then that will be a waste of money.

Any more thoughts?
Old 25-05-13, 09:05 PM   #8

has the battery had a proper drop/load test done on it? if not get that done first, any decent garage should have a battery load tester. that will tell you if its battery. if thats fine get a meter on it to see how many amps are being pulled off the battery with ignition off. if its high then something is not shutting off. then you can start to eliminate different circuits by pulling fuses to see what if is causing the drain. but really any decent garage should have done a load test on battery first.
pauls0701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-05-13, 10:14 PM   #9

With everything being ok after a Full charge then started displaying the eco mode again would indicate to me that the battery is less than optimal and failing to fully charge or hold it's charge over a period of time. I'd replace it as when it finally does give out, you can guarantee it will be at the most inconvenient time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in