DePollution System Fault 1.6 HDI 2006 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-15, 06:17 PM   #1

Default DePollution System Fault 1.6 HDI 2006

Hi, had the car over 3 years and mileage is now 104k (average 25k a year).

A couple of days ago i was accelerating fast and overtaking up a hill and the error "Depollution system fault" appeared and the car shuddered a little and lost a little power but nothing much. Every day it now shows this error on start up and most of the time the car drives fine, but now and then it still lacks a little power. Coincidentally there is also a rattling noise on start up from the engine bay (seems to come from the turbo area) (also the dash lights seem to dim as the engine revs dipped as the rattling occurs) and we can hear whistling noises occasionally even when driving along at say 30mph.

Engine light icon stays on and oil pressure gauge seems normal

I already have the car booked in for a new cam belt in 2 weeks time and hoping to get peugeot plant hooked up to see any specific error codes (but cant get hold of this for 2 weeks when back at work).

So question is, is this the turbo starting to fail? based on the above is it ok to drive for the next 2 weeks? (inc 450 mile drive next weekend). Any advice welcome. Thanks Dave

Last edited by thewigster; 27-12-15 at 06:21 PM.
thewigster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-15, 07:35 PM   #2
Inactive User

From your description, it seems like the car has gone into limp mode.

If the car is not smoking and you feel there is noise coming from the turbo then i suggest that you remove the pipe from the turbo and see for any play from the shaft. A while back my 1.6 Hdi had lack of power and it turned out the bearing had collapsed. Expensive Job

Adam
adam.007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-12-15, 10:19 PM   #3

I would start with getting it on planet or diagbox check fault codes and live data.

For more info on this please read the introductions section

Old 27-12-15, 10:41 PM   #4

Also,when you say the lights are dimming and the engine light is on,it may be worth while to have a check at the alternator to see what the bearing is like and see if it's output is as it should be.
GRAHAM.C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-12-15, 11:00 PM   #5

How well has it been serviced if not well enough then it may be the turbo getting old they are too small and overworked so rarely last much more than 150k miles less if not looked after BETTER than peugeot suggest.
Old 28-12-15, 10:46 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies.

I just removed the pipe from the turbo (small pool of oil on the bottom of the metal outlet - unsure if there should be any oil there though). I tried to wiggle the wheel and it moves only a fraction (about 1mm each way) which i believe is normal. Typically it didn't make any loud rattling noises this morning, however i did notice that all the bolts have snapped off/come away from the heat shield covering the turbo and downpipe. So im checking to see when the noise comes back if it is actually just this.

It gets a good regular service by me, oil and filter (original) changes (and sometimes fuel filter too) with Castrol Edge Titanium FST Turbo Diesel 5W-40 for past 3 years with changes about every 7/8 months (10-15k)

Will keep an eye on the dimming side of things, as that maybe a complete side issue - it was idling at the time from cold so could have been a one off/coincidence

Trying to contact my work colleague to get peugeot plant asap and see what that brings up!
Old 28-12-15, 01:38 PM   #7
Inactive User

[QUOTE=thewigster;1231042]Thanks for all the replies.

It gets a good regular service by me, oil and filter (original) changes (and sometimes fuel filter too) with Castrol Edge Titanium FST Turbo Diesel 5W-40 for past 3 years with changes about every 7/8 months (10-15k)

You are using the wrong oil. Castrol edge 5w40 its a c3 spec oil.

What you need is a c2 spec oil. The recommended oil for your car is Total quartz ineo ecs 5w30.

You best of sticking to 6k or 6 months service interval. These engines are prone to turbo failures.

Adam
adam.007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-16, 05:30 PM   #8

Thanks for the update Adam

Well, i took the car for a spin to either kill it or to see if it was just a winge..... 58 miles down the A30 and the Depollution message appear and loss of power (more than has been before) and the whistling was a bit louder. Pulled into layby and called RAC. He checked the turbo propellor straight away and showed me that it was now very sloppy so defo turbo failing due to bearings.

So, starting to get a few quotes - average around 600 for a recon turbo kit fitted by a garage. With a cambelt kit due (approx another 250) then its making me wonder if its worth fixing and run the risk of another turbo failing on this engine type prone for it. There is also quite a bit of carbon build up around one of the injectors - so could be more expensive if this is related or will need doing also in near future. Shame really as was a good car up until now!
Old 05-01-16, 05:35 PM   #9

why not get a turbo cartridge and replace the oil feed pipes
Old 05-01-16, 06:03 PM   #10

Repeated turbo failure is more common on neglected engines and although it has been pointed out you are using the wrong oil it has NOT been neglected as you have serviced it enough your turbo has simply got to end of its life.

I would expect a replacement to be fine but do a interim change after 1000 miles or so just to be sure the oil is clean and you MUST replace the feed pipe.

Carbon round the injectors is totally separate issue this is caused partly by the poor design of the engine and compression leaking past the copper sealing rings at bottom of injectors nothing to do with turbo failure as some seem to suggest.

Last edited by reliable406; 05-01-16 at 06:05 PM.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in