Dampen road noise in boot - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-17, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Dampen road noise in boot

Lately I've been noticing the road noises in the boot of my 207 hatch. Especially at lower speeds on brick roads, some noises can be heard in the back. It sounds a bit as if some stuff in the boot is 'bumping' around, but when I removed everything in the back, the noise is still there. On higher speeds, the noise increases, but it does not sound like something's bumping around anymore.

I think it's noise from the tyres? As I'm running 4-season tyres, I suspect they may be a bit noisy.

I've been looking to dampen the noise a little, and I found that bitumen is used, as well as other dampening materials (from Silent Coat for example). Because these products are not cheap, I'd like some advice on how to use these in the boot of the 207 specifically.

Anybody with some experience with using these materials in a 207? Are the wheel wells the problem? Or is it the floor with the opening for the spare wheel, which seems likely to resonate?
reynard80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-17, 11:11 AM   #2

Before you get too involved,try a few wraps of insulation tape round the boot retaining catch.Its a bit awkward but may solve your problem
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-10-17, 12:04 PM   #3

Thanks, I see why that could be the problem. Are those boot retainers known to have a little play?

But where should I apply the tape? I think in the 'bracket' below (A), or should it be applied in the lock in the lid (B)?

Old 31-10-17, 02:13 PM   #4

On A mate,just 2 or 3 layers for starters.
Mine rattled for weeks,sent me mad and this cured the problem
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-17, 05:54 PM   #5

Had the same thing, put a bit of bubble wrap about the boot lock latch and cured it straight away.

P.S As Shep says Around the latch in 'A' on your picture. People say tape but i didn't have any at the time hence a strip of bubble wrap.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-17, 01:00 PM   #6

Thanks, will try and see if it helps. I noticed that the plastic on that latch has worn down. It has already been taped by someone, but the tape has worn down as well, so this might well help.

But what is actually making the noise? The trunk door doesn't seem to have much play in it.
Old 09-11-17, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoey1001 View Post
Had the same thing, put a bit of bubble wrap about the boot lock latch and cured it straight away.

P.S As Shep says Around the latch in 'A' on your picture. People say tape but i didn't have any at the time hence a strip of bubble wrap.
I have tried it with some tape on the latch. It seems to help quite a bit indeed. However, on higher speeds, I still seem to hear a bit of rumbling in the back.

Maybe I need to put more tape on it, as bubble wrap is much thicker? The tape is only maybe 1 mm thick. How did you apply the bubble wrap? Do you have a picture?
Old 09-11-17, 07:03 PM   #8

The real issue is wear in the catch in the bootlid the plastic coating on it wears down causing the movement the tape takes up the wear and cures it for a while.

Replacing the catch assembly would cure it but the tape will do fine as its a common issue so a new catch would be best a used one would probably be worn.
Old 10-11-17, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard80 View Post
I have tried it with some tape on the latch. It seems to help quite a bit indeed. However, on higher speeds, I still seem to hear a bit of rumbling in the back.

Maybe I need to put more tape on it, as bubble wrap is much thicker? The tape is only maybe 1 mm thick. How did you apply the bubble wrap? Do you have a picture?
Hi basically just tore it into a strip an wrapped it around a couple of times, didn't even use any tape to secure it. As long as the boot shuts ok then it works.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-18, 10:07 AM   #10

I tried with some electrical tape (plastic, and also some textile). It actually helps a bit, as the existing plastic and tape was worn down. It doens't work completely though. I still hear some of that noise, and suspect it is actually coming from the tires.

However, now the boot lid seems to 'stick' a bit. It doesn't open easily, and feels like it sticks to the rubber. Removing some of the tape helps (maybe I just put too much tape on), but it still sticks.

Is that a known problem too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in