CV Boot Cover Clips - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-17, 07:15 PM   #1

Default CV Boot Cover Clips

The metal CV Boot Cover Clip has come off the outer joint on the offside. I got some clips and grease from a car shop. The boot cover isn't damaged the outer clip nearest to the wheel has just come off and when on full lock the boot cover leaves a gap allowing for dirt entry etc. So I thought a new clip would fix the job. Got a new clip and packed the boot cover full with grease and attached the new clip onto the boot cover and it Sat in the groove perfect but I could not get it tight enough. I did it with it all attached to the car. I just took the wheel off. The clip was quite thin. But when I checked the other side the clip was twice as thick I'll post a pic of the other side. I can't seem to find these thicker clips anywhere online. Any help please?
Attached Thumbnails
20171001_160241_1506881554394.jpg  
The_Millers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-17, 09:51 PM   #2

The thicker clips are not generally available they are factory fitted to the shafts and are often cold or ultrasonically welded which you cannot do at home.

The aftermarket clips will hold if you use the right tool see link below. At a pinch you can sometimes get old fashioned pincers to work

Bergen Tools Ear Type Clip Pliers Cv Joint Boot Clips Hoses B5835
Old 01-10-17, 11:06 PM   #3

I tried but the clip just kept spinning round on the grease. I'll try again soon and wipe it clean and go again. Might make it easier if I remove the brake disc? Can you tighten it with any other tools?

Old 02-10-17, 12:06 PM   #4

A Bergen clip tool might be ok if you just do the occasional job with it. I have found a pair of pincers work well.
However if you intend to do your own maintenance then upgrading to something like a Laser brand for about 20 will be better in the long run imo.
No need to get a Snap On or other premium brand unless you are a full time mechanic.

Roger.
Old 02-10-17, 04:14 PM   #5

i gave up with them, both the originals snapped on the daughters car, so went to the plumbing section in b&q and got two large jubelee clips.

the advantage is they can be done up with a socket, however it is so easy to overtighten and it will bite through the boot so care must be taken.

also get rags and some brake cleaner/contact cleaner etc and give it a good clean.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-17, 05:05 PM   #6

Will jubilee clips fit?
Old 02-10-17, 07:00 PM   #7

yea but go for the smallest one that will fit, use a peice of string to measure the diameter.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-17, 09:01 PM   #8

Silly question. But at the top of the driveshaft there's a small gap which I know the jubilee clip won't fit under. Does the boot cover rotate when the wheel turns or is it just the driveshaft and joint?
Old 03-10-17, 12:29 PM   #9

Yes the clip turns with the shaft.
I don't recommend Jubillee clips, or cable ties come to that. For a permanent fix either use the right tool and clip or get some who has the tool to do it.

Roger.
Old 07-10-17, 08:45 AM   #10

They picked this up on my 207 when it was in for a major service at the dealer, re packed and a new clip done without charging me extra, this is why i love my dealership, very helpful lot
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in