Cruise Fail - Brake Switch Truth - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-15, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Cruise Fail - Brake Switch Truth

Hi All,

207SW 1.6 HDI

I retro fitted Cruise Control (CC) and Speed Limiter (SL) and both work as described - BUT - If I brake harder than normal the CC and SL drop out with "--" on the dash and neither will re-engage until ignition is cycled OFF - ON.
I am not talking about slamming on the brakes only a brake press slightly more than general "slowing down". It took me some time to isolate the action that caused the CC/SL to fail but having just driven 2500 miles on holiday it is definitely only a hard brake press that causes the failure.
I have read much about dual brake switches which are 2 separate switches and also about combined switches. Does anyone know for certain if it is 1 brake switch or 2?
NOTE: The car also has Hazard Lights Flash on Emergency Braking (Which obviously means pressing the brake pedal hard) - Is this ANOTHER brake switch?

Any help/suggestions appreciated.
Cod1704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-07-15, 12:25 PM   #2
Inactive User

I think the days of 'simple' switches have long gone

Heavy breaking may be sensed by the ABS.

Quote:
neither will re-engage until ignition is cycled OFF - ON
Which may kinda mean that the method of connection was less than correct, and the ability to auto reset is missing ?
Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-15, 02:48 PM   #3

Mmm...I guess (hope) all braking is sensed by the ABS but the braking force required to trip the CC/SL is definately not in the region of activating the ABS.

As for "and the ability to auto reset is missing ?" Yes, I guess so, but don't know if that is symptomatic of the fault or just (poor) design.

Old 20-07-15, 03:01 PM   #4

A 207 will almost certainly have the dual switch in a single unit. One side of the switch is normally open with the other normally closed. I would hazard a guess that the switch needs a slight adjustment. It sounds like the switch has been mounted a little too close to the actuator and needs pulling out slightly. This is an easy adjustment but take it easy when pulling it out. Too far and the brake lights won't work.

The switching on of the hazards will be done via the ABS ECU. The BSI will receive a signal that the ABS ECU has actuated and switch the hazards on. Heavy braking that doesn't cause the ABS to operate will not cause the hazards to flash.
Cod1704 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-15, 03:26 PM   #5

Thanks Storeman,

Good clean answer. I will check adjustment of the switch unit. I assume the switch is mounted at the brake pedal?

Cheers.
ADS77 likes this.
Old 20-07-15, 06:11 PM   #6

The brake pedal switch is behind the glovebox.
ADS77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-07-15, 06:46 PM   #7

As ADS77 says, it will be under the dash on the passenger side. Never done one on a 207 but replaced the switche on two 307's. Adjusting the switch is pretty easy. just remember to check everything works before fastening back anything you may have to undo to get access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21-05-17, 12:54 PM   #8

...and still the problem persists! I checked the brake switch and as Storeman suggested it is 1 switch with 2 sets of contacts - 1 NC (Cruise I imagine) and 1 NO (Brake lights me thinks) both are working consistently and the adjustment is automatically achieved by a ratchet device on the switch plunger.

The only additional info I can add is that the fault seems to be associated with not only a firm brake application but also the duration of the braking. If I brake quite hard for a very short period the cruise is unaffected but a firm brake for more than a couple of seconds and the cruise drops out - I also note that it drops out when the brake pedal is released (not during the braking). A recent short, low speed emergency stop left the cruise active. I also note that the cruise does not need to be engaged for the fault to show. If cruise is powered but not engaged a firm brake action will cause the "--" symbol to flash and cruise is then unavailable.

A recent OBD2 scan shows no error codes stored.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 22-05-17, 08:05 AM   #9

I'm guessing that when you say cruise drops out you mean you get the fault warning and cannot re-engage cruise control.

Cruise control will stop working if the brake or clutch pedal is operated but should re -engage on pressing the pause/resume button or the +/- switches on the stalk.

The switches in the brake light switch need to be operated one just a few milisecond after the other. The first 307 I gad CC retrofitted worked for a couple of days and started acting much as you describe and I checked the switch to discover both sides of the switch operated as expected - one open & one closed with the plunger depressed and then switching states when releasing the plunger. I opened the switch unit and noticed on of the switches was sticking and was hesitant on changing state which delayed it's operation but didn't prevent it. Some attention with some switch cleaner, cotton bud and a needle file and it was operating cleanly again. Fitted the switch and everything worked again - for three days then back to how it was. Checking on PP2000, one switch would operate but the second switch took a lot longer to operate than it should and the exu swa it as a failure because it operated outside of the time window. Took a chance on a new switch for around a tenner and neve had another issue with it.

Old 22-05-17, 08:36 PM   #10

As storeman says, the dual switching system inside the brake light switch needs to operate [sync] properly or it throws up issues, as the electronics reads the switching as errors in the system and takes appropriate action to protect against the errors.

Peugeot is not the only manufacturer to use this type of switch, certain BMW models have it too, if it does not switch properly, it triggers a blown brake light message.

The only way to fix it is to replace the switch. Also, 'pirate' switches often are of poor quality and do not perform, so it is probably better to use genuine.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in