Creaking noise when turning the wheel both ways - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-15, 04:08 PM   #1
Inactive User

Angry Creaking noise when turning the wheel both ways

Hi, I get a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel both left and right. It doesn't seem to affect the steering. It also makes the noise when turning the wheel stationary. I have had a garage look at it and they said it will be the steering rack but was safe to drive. A friend said it may not be as the car would pull to one one side. Any suggestions on what to do now would be much appreciated. Also is it safe? Thanks
Stuntman2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-15, 05:42 PM   #2

A creaking rack would NOT automatically pull to 1 side !!

It could be the rack it could be the column bearings it could be the universal joint it could even be the strut tops without seeing the car nobody is going to know for sure

As for is it safe only YOU can decide that.
Old 18-08-15, 09:17 PM   #3
Inactive User

I have this too !!!!! it also clanks about when hit uneven surfaces..sounds like when a front spring is not seated in the cup ,and when I get a car wash with the underside wash included it disappears till it all dries out the it gradually comes back ? Took it into a garage, up on ramp they spent 15 mins trying to find source , told me it was coming through the alloy front sub-frame and needed to book it in to find the reason. I was told sub-frame is in 2 parts and they would need to check tightness of all bolts connecting them and check for dry bushes .....sounds like a labour timed game to me ?

Anyone had this before ? cheers Kim

Old 25-08-15, 05:28 PM   #4
Inactive User

Default Creaking noise has stopped

The creaking noise when turning the wheel seems to have stopped. Does this mean it may be the rod ends rather than the steering rack? It only has 39,000 miles on it. Phoned the garage who said initially it was the steering rack and they said they cannot be sure until they strip it down. Story seems to have changed. Steering is a little off now but that is the only problem (it's manageble) any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Stuntman2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-08-15, 01:52 AM   #5
Inactive User

I would've thought that it is more likely to be the strut tops than the rack to be honest, though no one on here is really going to be able to tell you without looking at it unfortunately
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-08-15, 02:54 PM   #6

Had the same problem with my 59 plate 207,took back to dealer and think they just lubed the top of suspension/bearing on both sides as they weren't long and I was being nosey through the servicing viewing window.Never had a problem again.
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in