Cooling Fan Staying at High Speed - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-18, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Cooling Fan Staying at High Speed

Hello!

Recently had a few faults, which ended up being a High Speed fan sensor that needed replacing, which i have now done.

After the high speed fan sensor was replaced, my cooling fan is now allways on high speed regardless of temperature, even when starting the car at the start of the day.

A few other things that may be related are:

Air Conditioning: Currently not working, light comes on to indicate Air con is on but does not change air temp (Turning AC on/off does not effect the fan speed, stays high speed regardless).

My engine temp guage which is by the MPH & Revs etc will sit at 80 degrees, i'm unsure but shouldn't this be sat at 90 degrees? increasing and decreasing every now and then ofcourse but should usually be sat at 90? could this be a dodgy temp sensor?

If someone could kindly help as i've been for several diagnostics where the costs are building up & no clear answer until the vehicle is 'further diagnosed'.

Thanks in advance!

Callum
Pudgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-18, 01:01 PM   #2

what i would do is first check for air locks, hotish running engine gloves etc then unscrew bleed valve on bulkhead and stat housing (if it has one) squeeze pipes.

only undo enough to see coolant.

Give it a good drive see if temp goes up a tad, if not i would replace the whole stat unit.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-06-18, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
what i would do is first check for air locks, hotish running engine gloves etc then unscrew bleed valve on bulkhead and stat housing (if it has one) squeeze pipes.

only undo enough to see coolant.

Give it a good drive see if temp goes up a tad, if not i would replace the whole stat unit.

Hey,

Thanks for the fast responce

i'll try this when i get home, however i was looking at stat units online & they have 83 degrees next to all of them? would this indicate that the temperature is actually meant to stick at 80 ish/83 & the gauge is correct?

Thanks in advance

Old 29-06-18, 06:02 PM   #4
Super Moderator

My 307s would run round 85 iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-06-18, 06:58 PM   #5

our car gets to 90 on the gauge and stays there, think the slow speed fan mode more or less keeps it there, takes alot for the high speed to kick in.

the gauge is not perfect but if your car used to hit 90 then stat or air would be first.

Also noted engine runs rich if air in system, on the vti at least.
Old 29-06-18, 07:58 PM   #6

Thank you for the replys !

Have bled the coolant/done as instructed, no change at all, originally said the fault was gone to.... I cursed myself, now states 'oil pressure low and stops the car.

Still unsure as to why the fan is constantly on high speed, feel like I'm spending money for repair for nothing!

Would anyway know which sensors and fuses could be linked to the fan?

The car itself runs very smoothly, I had however noticed, while idling for some time, the coolant does not actually move/feel like it's circulating and the tubes don't get hot? Could this be a cause?

Thanks 🙂
Old 29-06-18, 10:41 PM   #7

if the fan is kicking in when the motor is cold, you do not have an actual temperature problem, you have a sensor/wiring problem. Seeing it only started doing this when you installed the new sensor, perhaps it is the wrong one or is faulty?

The fan activation is controlled via quite a few circuits so could be an issue with any one of them, or could be a wiring or fuse box issue. Check around for wiring faults and corrosion/water in the fusebox and bsi unit. Check the ground connections around the fuse box are clean/making good contact with the body. Bad ground connections cause all sorts of issues in peugeots.

See if you can find someone nearby to scan the car with PP2000/Diagbox and use the fan test facility. It may show up something if you are lucky.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-06-18, 10:53 AM   #8

think you need to be sure of the engine tempreture, if it is overcooling its almost certain to be a open stat.
Old 02-07-18, 11:43 AM   #9

Hey,

So not got much further with this, no obvious signs of wear/damage on wires etc but i'm no mechanic, i've purchased a diagnostic tool of my own & attempting to use a mechanic in the family to see if they can diagnose the fault, i believe i can also run tests such as fan tests on this diagnostic tool to.

Thanks for the help so far!

When the diagnostic is here i'll run a scan on the faults/tests & post them here, the car itself runs fine, no problems at all (aside from it going into limp mode from time to time) so (not so) hopfully it is just another dodgy sensor or wiring.
Old 03-07-18, 01:44 PM   #10

what engine is it?

know for the THP version there is tech bulletins for the no air con with cooling fans being on.....
ADS77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in