Cold Start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-13, 01:25 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Cold Start

Hello All

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 with about 45k on the clock. Full service history. It's been slightly dodgy on the cold start for a while, but has got a lot worse recently.

Spark plugs were changed last year, and it had its annual service (oil, filters etc changed) in October.

My local garage think there's a dodgy target coolant temperature (-47 degrees) programmed into the ECU, which is what's causing it to be poor in the cold as it's not sending enough petrol through. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, will my local Peugeot dealer be able to run a software fix? Anything else it might be?

I can still start it by hammering the accelerator but would prefer not to have to, and I know it's not good for it long-term.

Runs beautifully when warm.

Many thanks, all.
awrjackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-01-13, 03:33 PM   #2
Inactive User

Bump! Am presuming this isn't a situation anyone has come across. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.
Old 26-01-13, 04:57 PM   #3

If the engine was at -47 it would probably be a block of ice and would not start anyway

Somethings not right there either sensor or software
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-01-13, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive User

That's what I thought! OK thanks, will get it checked out by a Peugeot dealer.
Old 28-01-13, 01:43 PM   #5
Inactive User

I've been meaning to post this for some time; I had this trouble a couple of years after I bought the car (a 407) and then again late last year when the cold weather came. There are many suggestions, mainly centring around the connections on the starter motor or the alternator.

On the first occasion, I changed the battery for a cheap one and it was never brilliant, sometimes it required a jump start when temperatures were down. I have now bought a Bosch and even at -5 it starts first time.

The point is that I noticed that, on both occasions running up to the failure to start, the dashboard clock was losing time - up to a minute a day - with this new battery, it is accurate.

So, if your clock is out, it is a fair sign that your battery is dying.
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-01-13, 04:08 PM   #6
davidireland

Default Re: Cold Start

Is it 1.4 8valve. If so there is a software update for this problem.

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-01-13, 10:07 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks both. David - no it's a 1.6...
Old 29-01-13, 10:11 PM   #8
davidireland

Ok. The coolant temp sensors give trouble on this engine alright. It a BMW one.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-02-13, 04:57 PM   #9
Inactive User

Just to update in case of interest. Took it to the Peugeot dealer and it is indeed the temperature sensor (or at least the switch attached to it). Was stopping enough fuel getting to the engine when cold starting. Quite pricey to get changed but it's partially under an AA warranty which makes it a bit better. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully that's the last of it!

Apparently coolant was leaking up the wire that attaches the sensor to the EPU, and if it had been left much longer it would have hit the EPU and blown it. So a lucky break!

Last edited by awrjackson; 19-02-13 at 07:00 PM.
Old 19-03-13, 05:13 PM   #10
Inactive User

looks interesting, I have a 57 plate 307 with 25k on the clock. When it is cold it always starts first time but needs the accelerator pedal pressing to keep it going for the first 10 secs then it runs ok. have been told my battery is at 65 % capacity but might be the switch as it only does it when the temp is below about 2 deg. sound familiar
bowlzerpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in