Cigarette lighter socket - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WillNZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-17, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Cigarette lighter socket

Bit of an odd one, I generally use the 12V socket in the dash to charge my phone while I'm driving but the adapter I've used with other vehicles doesn't seem to connect to the power in this car. I did wonder if the socket itself was faulty but the cigarette lighter heats up and pops as normal.

Anyone else found this?
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-17, 12:43 PM   #2

Hi..if the lighter heats and pops up,the socket is ok...I would look at the plug..I have seen some that have a little adapter that twists off on the end,,?
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-17, 03:12 PM   #3

The power lead works perfectly in other vehicles. I got it to work in the Pug by twisting it, wonder if there's something about the design Peugeot use that is different from others. I'd have thought they'd be pretty standard.
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-17, 03:25 PM   #4

Hi...mine in my 407 needs a wriggle sometimes to get it to work..and yes they are all standard,I doubt if peugeot make anything electrical....
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-17, 09:09 PM   #5

As above my usb charger doesn't just go straight in. Needs messing about with a bit to get working.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-17, 09:31 PM   #6

If the lighter socket has been used as a lighter, it will most likely have some sort of surface corrosion/tarnishing due to the heating of the lighter element. You may have to clean off the contact surfaces inside to improve matters. But remove fuse/disconnect battery before trying this..
dovetail likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-17, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
If the lighter socket has been used as a lighter, it will most likely have some sort of surface corrosion/tarnishing due to the heating of the lighter element. You may have to clean off the contact surfaces inside to improve matters. But remove fuse/disconnect battery before trying this..
+1 for this, i had the same problem, used a small point file to scrap away corrosion, works perfect now
dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-17, 08:40 PM   #8

Most modern cars no longer have cigarette lighter sockets - they are just aux power sockets and accept a similarly shaped plug as the plug for cigarette lighter sockets but they are different. I have found older leads with a plug for a cigarette lighter socket struggle to work in aux power sockets so guess it is the same the other way round - i.e. an aux plug will struggle to work in a cigarette lighter socket. I'm pretty sure it is something to do with the spring metal clamps that hold the lighter down until it heats up enough to expand the spring clamps enough for the coil spring in the lighte plug to pop the heted lighter out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-17, 08:55 PM   #9

So you are telling me that both my 2008 407's are not modern cars...????
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-17, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
So you are telling me that both my 2008 407's are not modern cars...????
Please read the first word of my previous response.

My 2004 307 did not have a cigarette lighter - just an auxilary power socket which does not work with a lighter plug as the positive terminal is totally different and there is nothing to hold the lighter in. Your 407's are definately more modern than my 307 and the 307 was exactly as I said in my first response.

It became taboo to fit cigarette lighters in new cars due to the overwhelming anti smoking lobby - especially with the heavily beurocratic EU hierarchy. However, I know that some cars still had them as standard (or as an option) hence the first word being 'most'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 11-08-17 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in