Changing Fuel Filter Advice Needed - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-13, 10:47 AM   #1
kip
Inactive User

Default Changing Fuel Filter Advice Needed

I'm looking to change the fuel filter on my 1.6 HDi 90bhp 207sw. I have a Haynes manual which in the generic part of the manual (probably in all manuals) says you need to plug the fuel lines after disconnecting them. However, in the section that details changing the filter, it just tells you to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter and have plenty of rags handy but says nothing about plugging or clamping them.

The fuel lines (I think) are quick disconnect type with a little white button on them. Do I need to clamp or plug the lines after disconnecting them or not? I've read that clamping can damage the hoses but I cannot find suitable plugs online.

For clamps, I've found these. I made something like this once back when I was in college, although it didn't look as nice as these.
Sealey Hose Pinch Tools 2pc : Tooled-Up.com

As you can guess this is the first time I've done this so any other advice is welcome.
kip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-13, 11:39 AM   #2

If you buy a quality filter you get the plugs supplied.
Old 21-01-13, 12:31 PM   #3

I did my mates 207 fuel filter a while ago, no special tools, quite a pleasant job really.

Old 21-01-13, 01:09 PM   #4
kip
Inactive User

Filter is branded Blue Print, came from local motor factors. I'll check it again as it may have some plugs fitted to it... never thought of that!

loot, how much fuel did you lose?
Old 21-01-13, 02:16 PM   #5

Yes, if they're not in a little bag they're already on the filter.
Old 21-01-13, 05:43 PM   #6

From memory i took the filter off and replaced it so whatever was in it i guess, its a plastic unit so i don't think you can fill it up like a traditional one but i had no problems starting the car up, it was a Peugeot filter.
I can't recall if the car has a manual primer sorry, but as i said, at the time if i had issues i would remember so I'd say it was straight forward.
Old 21-01-13, 10:08 PM   #7
Inactive User

Yes you do need to plug the hoses, 2 golf tees are best for the job,

most important to leave the car stood over night to de-pressurise,

Remove the lines and plug 1 by 1?

Replace with new filter, fill new filter with diesel 1st,

You want to keep the amount of air in the system to a minimum,

Make sure u wash any diesel off of the fuel lines once finished,
battmiceter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-01-13, 11:11 AM   #8
kip
Inactive User

My filter does have plugs with it. They are both different and already on the filter so will just have see if they fit when I get round to do it. I don't have any golf tees, or anything else similar unfortunately.

The car has a hand pump primer fitted so not worried about that.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll update how I get on when I get round to it.
Old 07-02-13, 03:55 PM   #9
kip
Inactive User

Ok, I've finally got round to changing the filter. No problem removing and refitting but now I'm really stuck.

The car is fitted with a hand priming pump and the Haynes manual says it only takes approximately 2 minutes to prime the system. I've been out for hours today and the pump is not showing any signs of resistance like the manual says. Used the pump for a good 20 minutes before attempting to start. First time I started the car it started normally, idled for a few seconds then died. Car would not restart.

I then pumped the hand pump again for probably an hour's worth before fuel actually went through it (resistance not changed). Have checked all the connections and all seems fine. Car eventually started but only idled for about a second then died again. Car would not restart. My hands are now too sore to carry on.

Is this priming pump just an absolute joke or is something wrong here? I live out in the sticks and car is dead so really need to get this sorted asap!

Last edited by kip; 07-02-13 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 04:28 PM   #10

It should be a 1 way valve so every pump fills the pipes with fuel, it sounds like it isn't locking, but now you have run the pump dry it'll be a bit harder now, you have plenty of fuel in the tank i take it?
I would be looking at getting suction on the outlet of the primer if it was me, I'd consider pressurising the tank but i won't suggest that really.
Does the primer seem to be sucking i.e 1 way?
I'd probably take it off and check it isn't stuck open.
Other alternative is get a bottle with a very small spout full of diesel and fill the filter up full.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in