Car turns over but wont start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-13, 09:56 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Car turns over but wont start

Hello everybody - my first post so hopefully I've put it in the right forum.

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 SW 1.4 95bhp.
Last Thursday I ran it for a few seconds to move it down the drive slightly so my wife could get her scooter past it. It started absolutely fine.
On Friday morning my wife went to start it and it just wouldn't start. It sounds like it is trying to fire to start with but just doesn't fire up (hope that makes sense)

Our usual mechanic has almost run out of ideas and it is to be seen by an auto electrician on Monday but I'm just hoping someone might have a clue as to what it might be as we're really struggling without it - we are a 1 car family.

What has been done so far :-

Mechanic connected his scanner to check for error codes - it did come up with an unspecified error (sorry don't know what the code was)

Spark plugs have been replaced - all checked for a spark - all cylinders were sparking and fuel is getting through to the cylinders. He did notice that on cylinders 2 and 4 the spark was weaker. He is coming back later today to replace the coils on the two weaker cylinders.

The camshaft is turning when we crank the starter.

I've been wondering whether the immobiliser might be the problem - As far as I can gather, if the immobiliser is active, the car will still crank over but wont fire up - I don't know if that's correct. I have supposedly reset it by removing the shunt fuse for 15 minutes.

BTW - no error messages are appearing on the dashboard except the battery warning light now as the battery has taken quite a drain with attempt s to start the car. It is now on charge.

My mechanic is confident that the Auto Electrician will find the problem on Monday but if anyone has any bright ideas that I could try in the meantime I'd be grateful.
John Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-13, 11:02 AM   #2

Get a diagnostic from one of your fellow members:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

And to save you time your nearest member is me!

Generic scanners are a waste of everyone's time and your money.
Old 05-07-13, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
My advise. Don't let him near it.
I read that first bit and thought you were referring to me!

But I'm amazed that they reached an "unspecified error", didn't try and find out what it might be and just threw parts at it. What happened to the art of logic of fault finding?

Last edited by Gibbo; 05-07-13 at 11:16 AM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-13, 04:02 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for that Gibbo - I may well be in touch before too long. I'll see how things go when the mechanic arrives tonight.
Old 06-07-13, 10:41 PM   #5
Inactive User

Snap On scanner me thinks!!
MadV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-13, 10:00 PM   #6
Inactive User

The Auto Electrician is due tomorrow. He should have all the latest gear for diagnosis.

My mechanic and I strongly suspect the crank sensor may be at fault - old school diagnosis would suggest that as there's a spark and fuel, then the timing is the problem.

I'll post the results in due course in case it's helpful to anyone else.
Old 11-07-13, 09:03 AM   #7

Hi John,

How's it progressing?
Old 11-07-13, 10:36 AM   #8
Inactive User

Hi Gibbo - not forgotten - the AUto Electrician confirmed it was almost certainly a timing issue so it's gone in to a garage now for repair. We're hoping to have it back tomorrow so I can confirm what the problem was. Reply may not be until next week as we've got a wedding this weekend and time is at a premium
Old 16-07-13, 09:56 AM   #9
Inactive User

As promised here's the final report. It was a valve timing issue. Apparently this engine co-designed by BMW (in their mini) and Peugeot can "jump" the timing if it stalls or as in my case, the engine runs for just a few seconds before being switched off again. So the recommendation is that if I want to move it two feet down the drive, I go on a five mile drive to make sure it doesn't happen again

The garage who dealt with it confirmed that it's not the first time they've come across this scenario.

Thanks to all who replied to the post. I hope this might help someone in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in