Car temperature odd - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-17, 06:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Car temperature odd

Hi All,

apologies if this has been posted cant find anything related.

My 207 2011 plate temperature is weird and i cant seem to get an answer to why.

If i'm on a long stretch of road the temperature gauge will be around 70, however when in start/stop traffic or idle it will increased to 90 but then will go over it so the fan kicks in to cool down to under 90. It will continue to repeat every 2 minutes until i am on the move again.

any ideas what could be causing this?

Not losing any coolant and its within the ranges.

thank you
LoganHawks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-17, 04:58 PM   #2

PREPARE YOURSELF FOR A SHOCK!

THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL AND SHOWS YOUR CAR COOLING SYSTEM IS WORKING AS INTENDED!

Doing a fair speed on an open road, your engine is cooled by the airflow resulting from your speed. When you end up in traffic this airflow stops and the engine temperature rises. If it rises long enough (ie: if you're stuck in traffic for a while) the temp. sensor will turn on your fan to cool it. Once cooled the fan will turn off. If you're still stuck in traffic the engine temperature will rise again and turn on the fan etc. etc. etc.

You do NOT have a problem.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-17, 05:03 PM   #3

PS. Forgot to mention. The fan and sensor system is designed to turn on the fan at about 92c.....just before boiling point.

Old 04-05-17, 05:49 PM   #4
Inactive User

If you were to drive constant does it just hang around at 70
And only go up when stationary yeh
Scradson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-17, 06:19 PM   #5
Inactive User

It's not right that the temperature should drop down to 70 when your driving
My mum had this issue with her 2009 207 but hers did a over heating first so I firstly replaced the temperature sensor, hers was duff anyway.
But this did not cure the temperature reading issue!
I don't know what your engine is but on my mums car where the thermostat is housed under neath you have an electrical fitting which can break down over time which in turn won't give you a true reading
I replaced the thermostat which comes in the house, changed coolant plugged back in bled it and hey presto it working properly now although the plug I thinks a bit temperamental it'd be a right pain to clean but you could try cleaning the electrical sockets first see if that works if it doesn't then I think it'll be new thermostat, like I say sounds exactly like my mums symptoms on her car
Scradson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-17, 06:54 PM   #6

Surely it should run at more than 70 degrees, the thermostat shouldn't be open at that temperature.

When it indicates 70, can you stop and check if the rad is hot too? It shouldn't be.

If it is then the chances are your thermostat is sticking.
Old 04-05-17, 09:33 PM   #7

You have to remember that individual cars have individual characteristics. A connection may have have a high resistance and give you a low reading on the temp.gauge No radiator, water pump or hose is exactly the same specification unless you're buying a Bentley!

My 207cc used to settle on about 75 and nothing I did changed that including a new thermostat unit. My previous 207 hatchback used to run at about 80. The important thing is that the sensor is turning the fan on at just over 90 as you say. It is supposed to come on at 92 so this suggests your temp. sensor is fine. Change the thermo if you wish but don't expect it necessarily to show results. Remember that a thermostat stuck open will not prevent an engine reaching optimum temperature, it will just mean it will take longer to get there. Once a thermostat is open it ceases to have any effect on the running temperature. This applies too if it is stuck open once the running temperature is reached.

My current (2016) 208 runs at about 85 and it gets there after about a mile even in the winter and the fan, like yours, comes on at just over 90. It used to take my 207 hatchback about 5 miles to show the 80 it ran at. They are all a little different. The components in question are precision made to a degree but they are mass produced and there is inevitable variation.

Is your fuel consumption ok? A cool engine will use more fuel than normal. A cool engine will leave dark deposits on your plugs so have a look at those. If they are ok I would leave it well alone.
Old 04-05-17, 09:42 PM   #8

PS. Check the temperature of hot air from the heater as well. Does it feel normal or too cool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in