Car Mechanics Mag. Re: 207cc 1.6 THP - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IanML

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-18, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Car Mechanics Mag. Re: 207cc 1.6 THP

Car Mechanics magazine have now finished their Project Peugeot 207CC. It has been an interesting and informative article over the last few months.
However I feel the summary given was somewhat harsh and I quote:

''Driving position poor and uncomfortable for anyone around 6ft''
''Not a very nice car to drive around town, crude snatchy feel to drivetrain''
''Doesn't go that well, rear legroom non-existent''
''For people with no interest in cars''

I find my 207cc comfortable to drive and I'm over 6ft. I did put 10mm spacers under the front seat rails so as to tilt the seat cushion so that my legs and not just by bony arse were in contact with the seat to achieve this.

I have never found my 207cc to suffer from drivetrain shunt around town, perhaps I drive to sedately.

I think Car Mechanics Mag. are missing the point really, the 207CC is not a Sports Car, it's an affordable stylish 2+2 hardtop convertible with sporting looks and if it wasn't for that prince engine with it's timing chain issues it would be a class act.

Incidentally I sat in a Merc.200SLK and no matter how hard I tried to adjust the seat, steering wheel etc. Could not find a comfortable driving position. Just saying !

Last edited by wightpug; 25-01-18 at 08:13 PM.
wightpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-18, 06:03 PM   #2

Well, you modified your seat to make for a comfortable driving position.
I would have thought poor rearward vision its biggest downside for driving around town.
It wouldn't take a genius to notice the rudimentary rear seat and lack of leg room, why mention that?.
I would guess any car like that would appeal to someone with a modest budget who wanted a convertible, not necessarily a petrolhead, but not someone who simply wanted transport.

Roger.
Old 21-01-18, 11:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
Well, you modified your seat to make for a comfortable driving position.
I would have thought poor rearward vision its biggest downside for driving around town.
It wouldn't take a genius to notice the rudimentary rear seat and lack of leg room, why mention that?.
I would guess any car like that would appeal to someone with a modest budget who wanted a convertible, not necessarily a petrolhead, but not someone who simply wanted transport.

Roger.
Hi Roger, thanks for your response.
Not really had a problem with rear vision, it's reasonable.
I agree it's market appeal is to those on a modest budget. The highly successful 206cc was the first hard top convertible to achieve this. The follow on 207cc was much improved in many ways with plenty of kit for your money but allas it is not without it's problems. I've been lucky so far I guess, fingers crossed.

Ralph

Last edited by wightpug; 21-01-18 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Typo
wightpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-01-18, 09:15 AM   #4

A large number of car manufacturers do not seem to have realised that there are some customers (me included) who have a long leg measurement for their height. The tilt control for the seat squab is a rare feature, and often, when fitted, inadequate.

An exception was the old Mitsubishi Lancer (the one of which the first Proton was a virtual copy). They had a telescoping lever on the right of the driver's seat, with a great deal of tilt control. You pulled the lever out to it's maximum extent, moved the end up/down till you were happy, and then pushed the lever in to get it out of the way. I loved it.

I like my 206cc, but the tilt control is grossly inadequate, so I need the seat pushed right back to get some comfort. Unfortunately, in that position, my arms have to be at full extension to reach the wheel. I'm tempted to try your remedy.
wightpug likes this.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-18, 02:46 PM   #5

In defense of the manufacturers, making a car with enough interior room for exceptionally tall or short people, say over 6'4" or under 5', might increase the manufacturing costs enough not to make it worth their while.
Back in the day BMC fwd cars were noted for having the steering wheel and pedal positions badly related, Italian cars also seemed suited for those with long arms and short legs. Perhaps Italians have longer than average arms?. In the case of the BMC cars the blame can be leveled at Alec Issigonis' pig headed obstinance.
I can't imagine such cars being sold nowadays.
Retractable hard tops have come a long way since the Ford Skyliner Retrac of the 1950's. There were so many pulleys, hydraulic rams and wiring the trunk (boot) space left was enough for a small case. This in a full size behemoth that was normal back in the day.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; 24-01-18 at 03:53 PM.
rustyroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-18, 11:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
In defense of the manufacturers, making a car with enough interior room for exceptionally tall or short people, say over 6'4" or under 5', might increase the manufacturing costs enough not to make it worth their while.....
Fair enough, Roger, but I'm 5'9". It's the leg length to height and leg length to arm length ratios where the problem arises.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in