Buying secondhand - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Welsh Chris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-17, 03:41 PM   #1

Default Buying secondhand

Hello all, first post, be gentle

I'm considering buying a 207 1.6HDI. It's a 2007 model with 49,500 miles on the clock. Last 2 MoT advisories said it will soon need 2 new front discs.

At this time I don't know the service history but I'd appreciate any pointers, what service schedule to use, when the expensive services are, known weak points etc.

I'm aware that low mileage diesels can suffer from coking problems, it's the model itself that I'm not that familiar with (though I did have a 206D a few years ago).

Thanks!
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-17, 06:19 PM   #2

I have a 207 1.6 HDi Sportium special edition (year 2011). It's a Sport but with some upgrades basically. I've just traded it in for a Fiesta this afternoon in Exeter which I'm collecting on Tuesday but I'll help with your question.

The service schedule is 12,000 miles or 2 years whichever is sooner. In my case I do 12,000 miles a year so my service has been every year. You should check for evidence of service history on the HDi as it's important that the oil is changed regularly. I do an oil and filter change at least every 10,000 miles (a bit early) and people on here have recommended that it's wise to do that.

I can tell you about problems with the 207 that I've had myself but of course I could have been incredibly unlucky. I had water ingress into the wiring loom and fuse box when the car was 3.5 years old and the bill was still over 1,500 after Peugeot had given me a big discount. I did eventually recover the money from Peugeot. You can search for water ingress issues on here as other members have suffered that too. I've also had a power steering motor replaced at 580 but 207 models older than 2011 may not have the electric power steering that mine has. Check the gearbox works smoothly as mine has been rather "clunky" for the last 30,000 miles although it still works fine and after Tuesday it won't be mine anyway. I've had my 207 for around six years (from almost new) and there have been no other significant issues worth mentioning.

Last edited by mattalsop; 14-07-17 at 06:22 PM.
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-07-17, 06:49 PM   #3

Thanks for that! Do these engines use a cam belt or chain and what's the interval on that?

Old 14-07-17, 07:01 PM   #4

I'm fairly sure it's a chain actually. Mine is at 65,000 miles and certainly changing the chain (or belt) hasn't been mentioned to me yet. Hopefully someone who knows will reply soon ;-)
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-07-17, 09:25 PM   #5

Hi Tomcat

I'm new here as well but can at least share what i've learnt in the last 3 weeks (the hard way).

This may sound negative but it really isn't that bad.

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 2006 1.6hdi GT which is very nice, drives really well and is economical, up until the oil pressure dropped suddenly and the turbo blew. I now have an engine with pretty much everything stripped off it.

I have since done a lot of research into these engines and have learned a lot.

Firstly they have a cam belt that drives one camshaft and a chain that links the second to the first.
The service interval for the belt is 50k to 70k dependent on normal or arduous conditions (I think) The water pump is usually changed at the same time. I would doubt yours has been done yet at that mileage.

If you google the 1.6 hdi you will find an unbelievable amount of articles on turbo failures and repeat failures.
The 1.6 does seem to suffer from heavy carbon contamination of the engine oil, apparently caused by leaking injector seals. The service interval is quite long given this problem.and the small quantity of oil.
The carbon then blocks the tiny filter in the turbo oil feed banjo, located behind the DPF where you cant check it, or it blocks the pick up strainer in the sump.
If the turbo fails they seem to fail again shortly after, I suspect the repeated flushing of the oil system loosens off the carbon deposits which then block the turbo filter again.

Anyway long story short if I knew then what I know now I would have still bought the car but I would remove and clean the sump immediately and replace the oil pickup. I would then fit the updated banjo bolt with the better filter or, as i'm doing with mine, make a new oil line with an inline filter which can be cleaned at every oil change.

I hope that doesnt put you off as I really like the car, I was just unfortunate that mine had been previously repaired by an idiot.

Good luck with it.
Welsh Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-07-17, 04:41 PM   #6

Well, I bought it. Drives well and the engine sounds sweet (for a diesel). Service record indicates it was low usage for the first 6 years of its life, clocking up only 20,000 miles and getting annual services. For the next 20,000 it looks like the second owner has been doing his own servicing. At least, I have receipts for oil filters and brake pads so I hope so!

So, bit of a gamble but fingers crossed. I'll put it through my local service garage in the next week and ask them to do a good inspection, full service and change the strainers suggested above.

The handbook suggests cam belt at 140,000 or 10 years so I guess that's due on age (mileage is only 49,500).

Anything else worth doing?

Last edited by Tomcat; 24-07-17 at 02:03 PM.
Old 21-07-17, 07:59 PM   #7

Peugeots timing belt intervals are madness i would do it as you say due to age as for servicing stick religiously to 10k mile oil changes and you wont see much trouble as this is the main issue with these engines well serviced they can easily do 400k miles.

DPF can cause issues but mainly due to lack of understanding of the system do some research on that before it bites you
Old 21-07-17, 09:10 PM   #8

Sounds like you've got a good plan already, get the timing belt done (and water pump at same time simply as there wont be a better time) stick religiously to servicing and make sure its the proper recommended oil (from my research the correct oil is every bit as important as the service interval) and if you feel the need, I would personally, change the turbo oil feed banjo bolt part number 037660 I believe, it goes in the block behind the DPF. Once you see the difference in filter size you will understand why.
Tomcat likes this.
Welsh Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in