Bonnet release handle not working - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-18, 11:13 AM   #1

Default Bonnet release handle not working

I went out to sort the light socket problem this morning and the bonnet release handle is slack as though the cables loose or snapped so the bonnet won't lift. Is there anything I can do to sort it or is it a garage job ?

207 SW s 07

Last edited by maxtor154; 16-03-18 at 11:17 AM.
maxtor154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-18, 11:09 AM   #2

Anyone ?, I've jacked the car up to see if I can get it from the bottom but there's that much going on I cant get my hand up to the latch nevermind a pair of mole grips to tug the release cable

There must be a way
Old 17-03-18, 11:35 AM   #3

cant be much help but we had the same thing the first day we got the 207, didnt see how the guy opened it but seem to think it was pulling the cable hard from inside the car as it was the bracket in the engine bay broke.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-03-18, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
cant be much help but we had the same thing the first day we got the 207, didnt see how the guy opened it but seem to think it was pulling the cable hard from inside the car as it was the bracket in the engine bay broke.
OK thanks for that stripe, it looks like I will have to pull the internal trim away from around the handle. I have mooched around with my hand but I can't feel any cable. Access in a nightmare especially with my big hands.

Only thing is, it's booked for the MOT Weds and it's an instant fail
Old 17-03-18, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtor154 View Post
Anyone ?, I've jacked the car up to see if I can get it from the bottom but there's that much going on I cant get my hand up to the latch nevermind a pair of mole grips to tug the release cable

There must be a way
If I recall correctly, I read a post a long time ago about someone getting at the latch from the side by removing a wheel and the arch liner.
Might be worth scouting it out on another car of the same model first, to see if that looks feasible. Or with the hood open on another car you might spot a route for a poke-y/hook-y tool that isn't obvious from the outside.

Last edited by mtempsch; 17-03-18 at 11:56 AM.
mtempsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-18, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempsch View Post
If I recall correctly, I read a post a long time ago about someone getting at the latch from the side by removing a wheel and the arch liner.
Might be worth scouting it out on another car of the same model first, to see if that looks feasible. Or with the hood open on another car you might spot a route for a poke-y/hook-y tool that isn't obvious from the outside.

Right I unclipped all the underside were the handle is and revealed this cable. Can someone confirm this is the bonnet cable ?
Old 17-03-18, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtor154 View Post
Right I unclipped all the underside were the handle is and revealed this cable. Can someone confirm this is the bonnet cable ?
No joy on googling that number though, but rubber grommet looks like what's on the ones for sale online.

Is it broken on the handle end? Then wise grips on the end of the wire might do it w(o poking about in theengine bay.
Old 17-03-18, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtempsch View Post
No joy on googling that number though, but rubber grommet looks like what's on the ones for sale online.

Is it broken on the handle end? Then wise grips on the end of the wire might do it w(o poking about in theengine bay.
proper ball-acke this, I can follow the cable from the rubber gromit back towards the handle but it's like stuck behind the glove box fuse box and its wont pull back out from behind the fuse box. I've a feeling it's attached to the handle and the cables knackered at the latch end or worse the bonnet lock-latch is knackered, driving me up the wall this.
I've got the wheel off but I don't want to be removing the arch liner clips as I've non spare and they seem brittle as hell.

Last edited by maxtor154; 17-03-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 17-03-18, 03:11 PM   #9

if she had her car here i would check best way but wont get it til tommorow.

dont worry about breaking clips just prize the middle bits out and wiggle the whole body out, broken ones are very cheap on ebay, but not sure if it will help.

cant you grab the inner wire and give it a yank?
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-18, 06:08 PM   #10

I managed to get to the root of the problem, a knackered bonnet release lever, It was cracked and the spring had gone and only God knows were thats headed off to

When I pulled the trim away I freed the cable from the handle I release the cable like you do on a bikes brakes and gave it a tug and up it popped so the cables itselfs fine,
Question, without the handle just the cable is this an MOT fail ?. It's due Weds for a MOT and I'm pushed for time to pick a spare in time from the scrappers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in