Another anti-pollution fault... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-17, 09:02 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Another anti-pollution fault...

Hello all - please bear with me it might be a bit of a long post! And I apologise in advance for my non-car speak, I'll try and explain it the best I can.

Bought a Peugeot 207 Sport 1.4 Petrol '58 plate (registered in Jan '09) in September '16 - MOT history pretty clear only a few things like worn tires and brake pads etc as advisories. One failure a few years back for insecure velocity joint (?) but that has been obviously been fixed since. Anyways, bought the car with approx. 72000 miles on the clock and for the first few days it started up fine but that's when it started going pear shaped.

Issue 1: Almost every time I start the car now I have to press the gas pedal to get it to start. If I don't press it then it just makes a half hearted sound like it's trying to tick over then goes dead (electrics still on like when you stall it). Sometimes it does start - it goes up to about 800rpm and you think it'll actually start normally then it drops to about 300rpm, does some spluttering then back up to 800rpm and hey presto it's like it never happened (this car usually idles at around 800rpm). It usually does this when engine is warm but also quite often when cold too. Have been advised by non-mechanical friend that it's just the automatic choke hence it not starting when warm.

Issue 2: Few months into ownership an oil leak became noticeable coming from the front of the car under the bonnet. Within the last month I eventually had it looked at (serviced (100) by mechanic friend of a friend who replaced timing belt (250) at 75800 miles) and was told it was rocker cover gasket (25) so had this replaced at approx. 76200 miles. It was still leaking oil a few days later so he replaced the head gasket (320) as well at around 76430 miles). So far there has only been one drop of oil on path last night, unsure if this is just residue.

Since the head gasket has been replaced (yesterday afternoon) there has been an anti-pollution fault with engine management light on, and a bit of a rattle/whirring noise which he said it just the tappets (?) and to take it back later in the week and he will adjust, and he wants to change the oil and oil filter as oil and water may have mixed. Nipped back with it yesterday evening and he plugged it into his handheld diagnostics machine to clear the fault code - didn't catch what the code was but I read O2 sensor. He said it's just saying this because everything has been unplugged whilst he was replacing the head gasket. It was clear for the rest of the night then when driving this morning the same anti-pollution fault has come back up with the engine management light again.

Any opinions/advice on any of the above? Still concerned about starting issues - could this be fuel injectors? Thanks in advance!!
MZ96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-05-17, 09:30 PM   #2

Get the car on Peugeot Planet or Diagbox for live data and fault codes. Generic code readers don't always give you the full picture.

Any codes caused by unplugging sensors will automatically clear or turn to "intermittent" once the sensor is plugged back in, providing the sensor is actually working correctly. So if the mechanic is saying that unplugging the sensor is flagging an O2 sensor fault code, and it hasn't cleared, then he may be mistaken.

For the starting issues, you need live data. There could be a fuel supply issue, or it could be something trivial like plugs/coils.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-05-17, 09:49 PM   #3

I'm kind of concerned this friend of a friend is using you as his personal ATM.

First off, follow the advice from Jimmymarsbar and get it diagnosed with Peugeot Planet and look at the live data. While the work done may well have been required it could all have been done in one go substantially reducing the cost to you. It seems like you mechanic isn't very familiar with Peugeots and doesn't have the necessary diagnostic equipment to enable decent diagnostics and he's going by best guesses until he gets it right and in the meantime yoiur hard earned cash is flowing away from you rapidly. So far it's cost you just shy of 700 based on the info above. How much more are you prepared to shell out for no fix ?

Find a forum member with planet who lives close to you and organise a diagnostic. Shouldn't cost too much & some offer a free repeat reading to clear leftover codes once repaired. Could be the best few quid spent on the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-05-17, 10:11 PM   #4

Can you identify where the leak is? There are a few different potential locations that engine oil can leak from.

I'm struggling to work out how a head gasket change would result in the lambda sensor flagging up. Maybe it's me, and someone can enlighten me?

You could try a can of easy start to see if the engine gets going on that.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-05-17, 11:19 PM   #5
Inactive User

I'm not quite sure where the leak was coming from - I had the car up on ramps when the tracking was done two months ago and they commented that pretty much everything underneath the front of the car was coated in oil but I've never checked myself.

The mechanic replaced the rocker cover but it was still leaking and when he took the head gasket off to replace it, the corner where the oil flow tube/pipe/thing (?) was covered in oil and it had dripped down onto everything below.

He says the fault is only showing up because he's had everything unplugged and it should stop appearing after an oil and filter change. I'm taking it to him tomorrow to get the tappits adjusted (?) to stop the rattle noise.

I've messaged a few members that are listed to have Peugeot Planet near me but so far had no luck. Will see if I can post some pics that mechanic took.
Old 15-05-17, 11:21 PM   #6
Inactive User

Although I must admit after the head gasket change there has been more power in the car, especially when going up through the gears as it would take a fair while to get going in 4th/5th gear even when flooring the pedal.
Old 15-05-17, 11:23 PM   #7
Inactive User

Pics of the engine, you can see where the oil has been.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2839_1494886944636.jpg   img_2840_1494886960142.jpg   img_2841_1494886971842.jpg  
Old 16-05-17, 03:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymarsbar View Post
I'm struggling to work out how a head gasket change would result in the lambda sensor flagging up. Maybe it's me, and someone can enlighten me?
The lambda sensor has probably shown up in the faults as it was unplugged without properly disconnecting the battery/putting the BSI/ECU to sleep.

But it is not difficult to damage them when removing/replacing heads/exhaust manifolds/exhaust system. They are not the most robust of components when banged around.

They also do not often react well to excessive water/oil going down the exhaust [e.g. blown head gasket] or to excessively out of spec exhaust fumes [very rich/lean].
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-17, 09:02 AM   #9

250 to change the belt on one of these.im in the wrong job
marrygold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in