Advice on buying a used Peugeot 207 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-15, 07:11 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Advice on buying a used Peugeot 207

Hello, I'm new to this forum

I went to test drive a 2007 Peugeot 207 diesel yesterday. When I lifted the bonnet up, the intercooler pipe was covered in oil, and it looked like there was an oil leak. I didn't test drive it because of this issue. The dealership put the car in the garage today, and apparently the leak has been fixed by replacing a sump plug/washer. He also advised that the oil on the top of the engine was from previous work done on the car before it was sold. I have re-arranged the test drive for tomorrow evening.

My question is if anyone thinks I should still go ahead with the car? It is a bad omen to have the sump plug/washer replaced? When I test drive tomorrow, I will check the car after I've driven it to see if there is any oil still leaking out.

I'm not great with cars, I've only had a Peugeot 106 which is coming to the end of it's journey, and I've never test driven a car before.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Last edited by katherinerob; 09-11-15 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo
katherinerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-15, 11:38 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinerob View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum

I went to test drive a 2007 Peugeot 207 diesel yesterday. When I lifted the bonnet up, the intercooler pipe was covered in oil, and it looked like there was an oil leak. I didn't test drive it because of this issue. The dealership put the car in the garage today, and apparently the leak has been fixed by replacing a sump plug/washer. He also advised that the oil on the top of the engine was from previous work done on the car before it was sold. I have re-arranged the test drive for tomorrow evening. My question is if anyone thinks I should still go ahead with the car? It is a bad omen?
Kath, It is unlikely that a sump plug washer would cause a noticeable leak. Many owners (not just Peugeots) change their oil and filter but don't bother about the washer, they just reuse them. My guess is that whoever changed the oil either didn't tighten the sump-plug according to specs, or OVER-tightened the sump-plug and ended up stripping the threads. If the threads in the sump-pan were damaged, that could be a real problem.
But look at the bigger picture. There's a leak underneath and the top of the engine was covered in oil. And the dealer put this car up for sale, like this? What does this tell you about the dealer?
I'm a great believer in "gut feeling". If you have doubts right from the get-go, you may well think twice about buying this.

If you do decide to go ahead and purchase, make sure you check for service history. Ask for a copy of the MoT certificate. Are there any advisories? If there were, where's the evidence that they have been attended to? How long did the former owner/keeper have the vehicle? A short ownership could be a sign that he/she got rid of a problem car quickly.
What's the mileage? Are there any signs of it having had a bump? Any signs of bodywork/paint mis-match? If you test-drive it, take your hands off the steering wheel (briefly). Does the car wander to one side or the other? Do the gears change smoothly (or as good/better than your current Pug?).

You say you are going seeing it tomorrow evening? You need to see it in broad daylight and be able to drive a good distance, through all the gears, and then check for re-appearance of leaks.

If you still have your gut feelings....walk away. There's plenty more on sale.

ps.. Let us know how it goes....
Kenzo
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-15, 10:13 AM   #3
Inactive User

Just walk away,
hussarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in