207cc roof rattle. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-13, 05:37 PM   #1

Default 207cc roof rattle.

I didn't add this to my previous post as that looks like it might be a dead thread. As far as my particular roof rattle goes I think I have found a cure that cost me about 10p! This may be useful for others experiencing the same problem.

Firstly, I noticed that when the rattle was present it would stop when I reached backwards and pushed upwards on the join between the rear window and the roof section. This told me that the problem was probably to do with the locating pin between the two. In fact if you push your finger up between the plastic trims you can feel the pin moving in time with the rattle!

So, knowing where it was coming from I mused about how to solve the problem and my first idea was to stick a bit of felt along both the junctions but I suddenly hit upon an idea. I had some of those self-adhesive felt 'thingies' that you can put underneath furniture etc so it doesn't scratch wooden floors. I measured the gap between the roof and the rear window sections (using plasticine...ask me how and I'll tell you!) and it was 3-8ths of an inch. Two of the felt pads together measured almost exactly half an inch. I stuck two close to and either side of the slot that receives the locating pin (or tongue) and another two at the ends of the section. I then placed four others directly opposite on the other section. The excess is therefore about 8th of an inch. I closed the roof with no problem and tested. The rattle that had been present all day had gone and with it all the squeaking from the trim around the rear pillars. There was no sign or sound of straining when closing the roof. It's now been over 24 hours since I've heard the rattle or the squeaks. It feels like a different car!

The pads will probably compress in time and I may have to change them in due course but so far so good. A cheap fix and one that does not seem to have any downside (although if anybody thinks it might have one let me know!)

If anybody else is suffering the cc roof rattle it may be worth trying this as long as you measure and determine that you're not trying to squeeze too much material into the gap.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-13, 05:41 PM   #2
davidireland

The locating pin is the problem. Taping it up should work.:thumbup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-13, 05:46 PM   #3

Default Adendum

PS

I ran a hose over the roof for a few minutes and there are no leaks.

Old 10-04-13, 05:48 PM   #4

Thanks David. I did think of that but didn't want to jam anything up. Maybe that's a better idea.

Cheers.
Old 08-04-14, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive User

Hi there
I've read ur post re how u fixed creaky 207cc roof; I'm not completely clear how to follow what you've done, if u have time could u send me steps/idiots guide to find where to place the pads, the creaking is driving me crazy; I've had all roof seals replaced and lubricant applied/heat shrink wraps to locking pins at front of roof- but still it's sounds like a pirate ship creaking along, if u had any pics to show how to fix it, I would be forever grateful
Many thanks
Maggie
Maggie66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-14, 03:28 PM   #6

Firstly I assume you are talking about creaking rather than rattling. My main problem was a roof rattle which I cured in the end by taping up the tongue that goes into the slot when you close the roof. This tongue is in front of you when the roof is in the boot. Tape it up a layer or two at a time rather than putting a load on all at once. For details see another thread I contributed to about 6 weeks ago.

However, it seems you are talking about a creaking sound rather than a rattle. This was the other problem I had with my roof and I found by trial and error that my creaking was caused by the plastic trim at the back of the roof panel where it meets the rear window as well as the trim covering the rear pillar. If you squeeze yourself into the back seat (yes I know it's hard!) and look up you will see a gap that runs right across the car. Most of the gap is where the roof meets rhe rear window and the rest (at either end) is where it meets the plastic trim covering the rear pillar. All I did was use those felt self adhesive pads that you can buy for sticking to furniture legs etc to stop them scratching wooden floors. I put the roof in the boot and stuck one at each end of the plastic roof trim where it would meet the plastic pillar trim, and two others between the roof trim and the rear window trim. They were just right to put a bit of pressure on the plastic trim when the roof was closed, enough to stop the creaking. However, in my case the taping up of the tongue to stop the rattle might have had an effect as well..... as that would also stop the roof moving as much and improving any creaking.

While you are sitting in the back seat looking up, jam your fingers into the gap that runs right across the car. That's all you are trying to do, put a bit of pressure between the two to stop them moving about but quite honestly I think the cure I found for the rattle had at least as much an effect on the creaking as the pads I used.

I don't have my camera with me at the moment but if this is still unclear let me know and I will take some and email them to you.( through the site)

Before going though, my creaking was by no means a major problem. Yours sounds bad and are you sure it is the roof? Does the creaking stop when the roof is in the boot? Are you sure it's not a suspension problem? Do you have leather seats? The loudest creak I have in my car is the drivers seat rubbing on the centre console near the seat belt clip. I cure that by spraying a bit of furniture polish in the gap about once a fortnight! It could also be a slack boot locking mechanism allowing the boot lid to jiggle about a bit.

Anyway, let me know if you need a photo and I'll take a few.

Good luck.
Crunchie04 likes this.
Old 08-04-14, 09:58 PM   #7
Inactive User

Thanks for reply, I'll climb into back tomorr to try thanks again
Old 09-04-14, 08:42 PM   #8
Inactive User

Just as update; I'm scared to tempt fate...but I appear to be creak free (207cc wise anyway)
So thank u for ur help.
Maggie
Old 19-07-14, 10:57 PM   #9
Inactive User

Default 207cc roof rattle

Just thought I would pass on my findings. Our 207cc started rattling at the front of the roof where it meets the windscreen, a quick spray with Mr sheen polish on the windscreen catches and rattle had gone. Job done.

One more thing was the doors creak when you open them so I sprayed some white grease in the Box near the door hinges, (there are holes in the bottom) and that cured that.

I hope this helps someone.
wayne c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-10-14, 09:10 PM   #10
Inactive User

Default Adie

HI, also have knocking/rattle in roof when up and nothing when roof is down. What tape have you used the tape up the locating pin and how may layers? thanks in advance
adiemcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in