207cc crash. Salvaged? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-15, 06:12 PM   #1
Inactive User

Thumbs down 207cc crash. Salvaged?

Hi,

My mother has been driving a Peugeot 207cc since 2009 when she bought it new. Unfortunately, while the car was parked another car crashed on it at high speed The direct impact was on the rear of the car but obviously the entire car was quite badly shaken. The garage quoted roughly 10,000 euros for labour and parts and therefore the car was deemed a write-off. The quote was based on retail prices of new parts. Obviously the major contribution to the exorbitant cost is the roof mechanism. The garage estimated that the wreck might be worth around 3,000 euros which sounds ridiculously high to me even if the engine and other bits and pieces are intact. I think we will be lucky to get 1,000 instead. Anyway, trying to think out of the box it crossed my mind to try to source the parts from here and there myself and pay the garage for the labour only. Before I spend more time on this thought I would like to know what do you guys think. Frankly, I drive an MG TF myself so not very familiar with the Peugeot world

Thanks!!
n.beglitis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-06-15, 06:20 PM   #2
Inactive User

Old 15-06-15, 06:26 PM   #3
Inactive User

To be honest I would have thought a lot of the cost of repair for that car will be labour as it will need a lot of labour intensive work to repair it not to mention jigging which can be costly. Would not recommend a cheap repair as they often miss out the jigging bit which means the car will quite likely drive like a bag of *****. TBH I would have thought if you have to pay someone to repair that properly it probably is an ecconomic write off unless you know someone who has or works for a body shop.
storeman likes this.

Last edited by renegade; 15-06-15 at 06:35 PM.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-06-15, 06:52 PM   #4

As renegade says, the car will definitely need to go on a jig. The whole geometry of the car will be out and if not done right will end up driving down the road partially sideways.

A lot of cars are written off for seemingly trivial bodywork damage because the cost of good quality bodywork is expensive. Plus a lot of damage is difficult to see until you start taking the outer panels off and see the hidden damage.
mooi1uk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-06-15, 07:43 PM   #5

ALL cc models be it 206 307 207 etc are ridiculously expensive to repair a bootlid will cost 500 hence the write off in your case

I buy them with much less damage than yours and still scrap them anyway as its simply not worth the cost to repair.

Front end damage is much easier to repair than rear end on these cheapest way to repair would be to buy a complete front end damaged car and use YOUR car for the parts needed yours is too badly damaged to be worth fixing the roof is a total pain to get right after repair.
Old 15-06-15, 07:56 PM   #6
Inactive User

Noted guys, to the scrapyard it goes. The only reason it crossed my mind is because labour rates can be quite low in this case. If the parts were in the 2,000 range with another 1,500 labour i.e if for the 3,500 euros the car could be on the road again I would consider it but it seems very far off.
Old 15-06-15, 08:24 PM   #7

Your car DOES have value though don't take a silly offer you are talking euros so im not sure where you are but in mainland Europe used car parts are way more expensive than the uk

Engines worth 150 here can be 600+ in france for example
Old 15-06-15, 08:27 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Your car DOES have value though don't take a silly offer you are talking euros so im not sure where you are but in mainland Europe used car parts are way more expensive than the uk

Engines worth 150 here can be 600+ in france for example
That's the point, I am based in the UK while the car is based in Greece. Parts in Greece are expensive, labour is cheap. In the UK it is the other way around. That is why I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could raid the used market in the UK for all the expensive parts (i.e roof), ship them to Greece, and have the garage there do the labour intensive work.
Old 15-06-15, 08:39 PM   #9

If it was front damage that would be a good plan but the rear end even lightly damaged is hard to fix on these reason is partly due to the extra rigidity of the body making it difficult to pull back into shape.
renegade likes this.
Old 15-06-15, 09:41 PM   #10
Inactive User

Front ends of most cars can take a good hoof and be repairable the rear tends to have more structural aspects to it as reliable406 has said. Trouble is structural work is not only difficult but requires a degree of skill to restore it, I'm not convinced that even in Greece you would get that sort of work done properly for bottom money and the car would still need to be jigged to make sure all the structure was alligned as Storeman says but yes there is a salvage value and don't undersell it.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in