207cc - coolent question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-06-15, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207cc - coolent question

Yesterday I topped up the coolent so it was between the min and max marks. I was driving around today and noticed the car temperature get very hot. I could also smell the coolent in the car. After I pulled over, I lifted the bonnet and realised I hadn't screwed the lid of the coolent container back on properly. So I emptied the remainder of the coolent into it (as it was empty) which was about 1.5 litres and it's still way below min. I will buy some more tomorrow as I'm out and shops are shut but is that normal?? It's just as I poured it in, it slowly disappeared completely. I'm afraid to drive it to the shops tomorrow!

Cheers
Linkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-06-15, 02:41 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkz View Post
Yesterday I topped up the coolent so it was between the min and max marks. I was driving around today and noticed the car temperature get very hot. I could also smell the coolent in the car. After I pulled over, I lifted the bonnet and realised I hadn't screwed the lid of the coolent container back on properly. So I emptied the remainder of the coolent into it (as it was empty) which was about 1.5 litres and it's still way below min. I will buy some more tomorrow as I'm out and shops are shut but is that normal?? It's just as I poured it in, it slowly disappeared completely. I'm afraid to drive it to the shops tomorrow!

Cheers
When you refer to coolant to what are you referring if you have to go and buy it?
Old 22-06-15, 01:32 PM   #3

He/she probably means antifreeze which you do have to buy. Could use water in an emergency but then would have to drain that to replace with correct mixture.

Leaving the cap loose would mean pressure loss in the system thus lowering the boiling point. You probably boiled off most of the coolant. It needs refilling while ensuring that you don't get any airlocks. Cut the bottom off a plastic bottle and place the bottle neck first into the reservoir. Then tape around this to hold it in place. Fill the system through the now open end of the bottle. This gives you the benefit of a header of pressure to help drive out any air. When full start the engine up to normal running temp (just over 90) Leave idling and the fan will come on. You then know for certain the coolant is circulating through the thermostat. Leave the engine running and squeeze the hoses repeatedly. You may see air bubbles and the level in the tank drop. Keep on topping it up until it looks to have settled. Keep checking for the next few days and top up as and when necessary.

If you have to keep topping up endlessly....start worrying about your head gasket! How long were you driving with it overheating?
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 22-06-15, 01:37 PM   #4

Forgot to mention...for really troublsome airlocks there is a bleed valve somewhere but I doubt if you will need it. Not quite sure where it is on this engine.
Davrobate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-06-15, 09:03 PM   #5
Inactive User

Davrobat is correct, I mean the antifreeze. Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I appreciate that. I've done as you said and all seems good, level has stayed consistent all day. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks again!
Linkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in