Peugeot Forums banner

207cc 1.6 petrol lots of white smoke

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  L.J 
#1 ·
My 207cc is putting out a lot of smoke when driving and idling. There also is an issue with idling, it seems to struggle, missfire and sometimes stall.

I know white smoke is indicative of water but it does not seem to be using any water.

Scanned with my lexia today and got these codes:
P0014 Exhaust camshaft dephasing fault
P0170 Mixture regulation fault
P2177 Mixture regulation fault
P0132 Fault upstream oxygen sensor signal
P0054 Downstream oxgen sensor resistance fault
P2196 Information on the mixture between the upstream sensor and the downstream sensor

After reading the faults i removed and cleaned the camshaft sensors, vvt solenoid which had some fine dirt in the mesh.i removed the lower oxygen sensor and replaced it with one from a 307 i have, unfortunately the upper sensor is different to the other 307 one i have.
Both 207 sensors were pretty coked up so i cleaned the one i was putting back in.
I then cleared the codes and went for a drive to see what faults would show.
This time the faults were
P2177 Mixture regulation fault
P2196 information on the mixture between the upstream sensor and the downstream sensor.

Live data shows
Upstream lambda : 0.987
Downstream sensor status : weak (this is the 307 sensor)
Downstream oxygen sensor voltage : 490mv
Proportional upstream oxygen sensor voltage : 1499.08 mv
Upstream sensor regulation status : open loop
Downstream sensor regulation status : open loop.

Im planning on buying 2 new sensors but are these likely to be causing the smoke? If it is not water then im guessing it may be oil being burnt.
I’ve heard of issues with the pcv being blocked?

Anyone any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
if its a vti it will kick out white/grey smoke with a rich running engine, could be air in the system (so give it a quick bleed)
or it could be a lambda, cleaning them is a bad idea best to just swap.

may take a few miles for the ecu to adjust so dont expect it to be instant, also check ecu and fusebox plugs for water.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, it is the vti. I checked the ecu connections yesterday and no signs of damp. I ordered a couple of new sensors now just waiting on them arriving.
I’ll try bleeding it later. Whilst poking around the engine i’ve noticed a previous owner has cut 2 wires and left them loose, im not sure what they are for but it looks like they cut a plug off and just left the wires. They are located near the camshaft sensors and the temperature sensor.
I’ll get a picture today, hopefully someone can help me figure out what they are for.
Thanks

#5 ·
Set this car to the side until now, would like to get it fixed. Unfortunately i only get time at the weekend to work on it.
Bit of an update on what i have done,
I’ve changed both oxygen sensors and still getting the same issues.

Car really struggles when first started, tick over is extremely poor, as if it is going to conk out, then after 15mins ticking over it seems to tick over almost perfect but this does not make a difference to how much smoke comes out.

Im reading online people suggesting it may be an issue with the pcv valve? Pcv seems fine so im not sure if thats the issue unless the pipes it connects to are blocked.
Others suggesting it may be air in the fuel and to bleed the system? Anyone know how to do this? If there was air in the system would the fuel pressure not be low? Lexia should show this?

I removed the exhaust manifold today and it seems to be pretty coked up.
The two outer holes seemed slightly wet, maybe oil?
Befpre i remove the rocker can anyone confirm whether valve stem seals be changed without removing the camshafts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.