207 white sludge in oil cap?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-18, 08:12 PM   #1

Default 207 white sludge in oil cap??

hi all!

So in September last year I purchased a Peugeot 207 1.4 (10) plate with 39k miles on the clock from evan halshaw for 3 grand. Servicing had just been done and MOT, all was good. First month I needed gear box replacing as chords and shift forks had went. Thank god it was under warranty.
however around Christmas my engine light turned on so i bought some new oil and when I took the engine cap off to fill it up there was quite a lot of white sludge on the cap however non on the dipstick. I was very worried as this is a sign of a blown head gasket however my uncle who is good with cars checked other potential signs such as pressure/bubbles in the coolant, smell of oil from exhaust, white smoke, and over heating thermostat. No other signs were present apart from the white sludge. He wiped it off and told me to check again in a week.
1 Week passed and I checked, the white sludge had reappeared but not as much as originally. He has put some head gasket sealant in and I check the cap every week and the white sludge is still present however it has not returned as bad as originally.
So my question is..
Could this be a blown head gasket? Is this common on the 207's as apparently they have aluminum engines which are prone to condensation, and has anyone else experienced this?

all comments grateful!! thanks!!
bethanyc4305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-18, 08:25 PM   #2

If it's not loosing coolant then its more likely just the cold weather. If you only do short journeys engine does not get enough heat (even with temp gauge on normal) to boil off moisture that forms within the engine when it cools down and you get the white sludge in filler cap etc.

Now outside temps are warming up it should stop happening
Old 06-04-18, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
If it's not loosing coolant then its more likely just the cold weather. If you only do short journeys engine does not get enough heat (even with temp gauge on normal) to boil off moisture that forms within the engine when it cools down and you get the white sludge in filler cap etc.

Now outside temps are warming up it should stop happening
Thanks for your reply !
Hopefully it does stop as head gaskets are around 600 to repair aren't they? I use my car mainly for trips that are around 10mile per day, would that be classed as a short trip ?
I've attached a photo of what it looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
img_20180129_143223_1523051775208.jpg  

Old 07-04-18, 08:02 AM   #4

Hi I have exactly the same on mine. Only noticed this winter with the cold weather we've had. As above if there are no other signs it's nothing to worry about, will happen on a lot of cars.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-18, 03:30 PM   #5

This is a common mistake people make many engines suffer from this issue and the unscrupulous garages out there will charge for a head gasket repair even though they know its just cold/short journey issue.

On some BMW engines the whole dipstick turns yellow and you cant read it !
Old 07-04-18, 03:33 PM   #6

I had it happen a few times on my 406 when running short journeys. Certainly never had the head gasket replaced on that.
Old 07-04-18, 03:43 PM   #7

wonder if having the pcv on the cam cover (vti) instead of the crankcase makes it look worse.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-18, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoey1001 View Post
Hi I have exactly the same on mine. Only noticed this winter with the cold weather we've had. As above if there are no other signs it's nothing to worry about, will happen on a lot of cars.
Hi that's reassuring thank you !
Old 08-04-18, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
This is a common mistake people make many engines suffer from this issue and the unscrupulous garages out there will charge for a head gasket repair even though they know its just cold/short journey issue.

On some BMW engines the whole dipstick turns yellow and you cant read it !
That's what I was thinking, that's why i haven't took it to the garage yet and it's last service was in September last year so surely they would have noticed something then ? I will check again when the weather starts to warm ! Thanks
Old 08-04-18, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
wonder if having the pcv on the cam cover (vti) instead of the crankcase makes it look worse.
Is this what you can see from the photo ? Haha sorry I'm not so good with cars but it is a verve model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in