207 VTi won't start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-17, 08:51 PM   #1

Default 207 VTi won't start

Hi, about 2 weeks ago I had the engine replaced in my 09' VTi (95 bhp, 1.4) as the piston rings were damaged. The replacement VTi engine came from a Pug 08' write off & is the same spec in all respects.

I have been driving it around ok up until yesterday but today it suddenly won't start. It turns over ok just like it did before but won't fire up. If the door is opened with the key still in then yes, it does beep. No faults appear on the dash either.

A few things i noticed since the engine was fitted:

- A slight noise coming from the top end when idle & i am told it could be the hydraulic tappets.

- A slight boomy noise at certain revs, like the exhaust is blowing slightly.

- The temp gauge does not work properly as it barely moves.

I still have the old engine for parts.

Any thoughts much appreciated before I try to find someone to come over & plug in a tester ?

Thanks

EDIT: Reading through here on the forum I see there are some basic electrical checks I could carry out as I have a multimeter & some basic tools - Water ingress in fuse box, blown fuses < anything else I can check ?

Last edited by mckenzie; 06-08-17 at 10:15 PM.
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-17, 02:41 AM   #2

After a bit of research it looks like the coolant temp sensor could cause a non start & considering mine is obviously a bit dodgy then this will the first place ill check tomorrow. Fingers crossed
Old 07-08-17, 04:38 PM   #3

Ok so I disconnected the temp sensor & after a few seconds it started! The fan then went on to full speed though as it thought it was too hot as the sensor was disconnected, had to disconnect the battery to stop it.

I then took the sensor out & did an ohms test which seemed ok, resistance was around 22k ohms & went up with heat applied (water in a source pan test). The sensor plug & socket had a load of green gunk on it which I cleaned off as best i could with a file & contact cleaner. However plugging it back in it won't start again.

So, looks like the sensor is still the problem.

Or, have I fixed the sensor but there are codes that need clearing ??

Thanks for any help... anyone ?

Old 07-08-17, 06:08 PM   #4

Coolant sensor should not stop it starting unless it recording high temps so fueling is too weak for a cold start.

Often if you start car with sensor disconnected the BSI will log a fault and temp will go to high and fans will run you have to clear the BSI fault when sensor is fixed/replaced as it does not auto clear
mckenzie likes this.
Old 07-08-17, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Coolant sensor should not stop it starting unless it recording high temps so fueling is too weak for a cold start.

Often if you start car with sensor disconnected the BSI will log a fault and temp will go to high and fans will run you have to clear the BSI fault when sensor is fixed/replaced as it does not auto clear

Thanks. However, it did start when I disconnected the sensor ?

HELP!! Big problem now is that I decided to do a BSI reset & now after this its gone into economy mode!! The window is wide open & to activate the window you have to be able to start it, which I can't. So the car is outside on the drive with the window stuck open. What to do ???!!!
Old 07-08-17, 07:25 PM   #6

Try pressing and holding lock button on remote
Old 07-08-17, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Try pressing and holding lock button on remote
Thanks. This doesn't work.
Old 07-08-17, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
The sensor plug & socket had a load of green gunk on it
that could be wire corrosion as water has got up it, unplug it at the other side see if its got into the ecu or fusebox.
mckenzie likes this.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-17, 08:05 PM   #9

Try locking car with key and hold key in lock position. Autoclose on windows should work in eco mode.

As above check the ecu plugs for coolant ingress, faulty sensor killed my daughters ecu (its also how i found you need to clear BSI sensor fault with planet to get coolant sensor working properly again).

One of the symptoms of the daughters car ecu fault was car would intermittently not start (no starter and no sound of fuel pump priming when ign switched on)
mckenzie likes this.
Old 07-08-17, 09:06 PM   #10

Thanks for all the help. Before I saw your post I managed to close the window by unplugging the sensor again, this allowed me to start the engine & close window.

I think I'm getting to the root of the problem now but still not sure. The o ring that seals the sensor in must be knackered as when all is in place you can squeeze the radiator hose & coolant comes out around the sensor, so its not sealed properly! This would explain why the plug was getting corroded. Have just connected the good sensor from my old engine but it still won't start. (I forgot to pick up the good o ring as well though, the other engine is stored a few miles away from here)

My thinking is that because the sensor was not sealed properly initially, the BSI saw a fault somewhere either with pressurisation or something else related & stopped it from starting.

Still, when i disconnect the sensor it appears that this overrides this particular fault somehow as it starts, hmmmm!?!

I'm assuming now though that once I replace the o ring then get the codes cleared by someone with a planet, then it should be ok ?

Last edited by mckenzie; 07-08-17 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in