207 THP - is it worth it? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-18, 06:43 PM   #1

Lightbulb 207 THP - is it worth it?

Hello,

Sorry if this turn out to be a longer post. I am in need of an advice from more experience drivers/mechanics out there. I like my little 207, quite a practical city car and even more than that. However, it has one peculiar feature - a THP engine.
Great to drive, not too expensive to insure, but repairs........

I am wondering, if it is worth investing in it and keep replacing the parts to keep it in good shape or, should I get rid of it.

Replaced so far - timing chain and everything that goes with it, spark plugs, electronic servo, thermostat, couple of expendable parts (brake pads, rotors....).
So far it has covered 150k kilometers, it's 7 years old. I am doing oil and filter change every 10k kilometers.

Current issues - oil consumption 1l per 1000km, very shaky on iddle (fuel pump?), clutch slipping, air con leaking refrigerant (radiators are in pretty bad condition), weird noise on iddle (like when timing chain got worn, but more subtle, won't go away when car warms up - maybe I'm hallucinating).
No faulty codes or anything.

Why do I ask for advice - well, I'd like to keep the car, even if it meant investing more that 1000 euros in it, but I can't afford the major engine failure after all that investment.
What do you guys think about the engine, what would you do if you were me? Is there hope for it?

Thanks everyone in advance,
Best regards,
Stefan

Last edited by dennnic; 16-03-18 at 06:47 PM.
dennnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-03-18, 08:36 PM   #2

My experiences with the THP [prince] engine is bad. Not with ones in peugeot's but in BMW's. Disgustingly bad engine IMO. All sorts of failure points. I would get rid of it as it is likely to cost you dearly in the long run.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-03-18, 11:03 PM   #3

I seen 1 that worked ok
dennnic likes this.

Old 17-03-18, 11:53 AM   #4

check the plastic pcv pipe that runs from the engine to manifold, they can crack and give bad idle.

as for the engine, well this week my daughter found a rcz she wanted (1.6t)

simply put my foot down and said NO,but to be fair she has had a problem free ish few years in her non turbo engine wise until last week where a cam sensor went.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-03-18, 01:36 PM   #5

@WillNZ - what exactly was problematic in your case?

@stripe88 - thanks for the advice, will check that. Well, you've got to expect and put money aside for repairs, especially as the car ages.
dennnic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-03-18, 06:28 PM   #6

Just google 'prince engine problems'. All will be revealed.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in