207 (Sport Auto 2008) - Oil in Spark Plug Well? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-17, 05:50 PM   #1

Default 207 (Sport Auto 2008) - Oil in Spark Plug Well?

Hi guys, I'm new here and not really too experienced with fixing cars so I hope you'll go easy on me. Basically my car has been occasionally running very rough and misfiring on cylinder 4. After removing the coil on cylinder 4, I noted that it was coated in oil, and the bottom of the well where the spark plug sits had a fair amount of oil sitting down there. There was also a tiny amount of oil in the cylinder 3 plug well, and oil at the bottom of the two recessed case bolt holes.

Anyway, my assumption (based on guesswork) is that oil is getting up between the spark plug and the coil and limiting the voltage transfer retarding the spark for cylinder 4. Not sure if that makes any sense?

Anyway, what I'm hoping to get help with is preventing the oil from leaking in, and what I may have to buy to get this fixed. Is there a seal at the base of each plug that I can buy, or are these part of the case which will need replacing? Either way, any idea where I could get one / what the parts would be called?

Thanks, Ed

[Edit] Thanks for the link to the junk thread

Oil in the plug well:

Oil in these recessed bolt wells:

Last edited by someusername; 16-07-17 at 10:00 AM.
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-07-17, 08:43 PM   #2

Probably the rocker cover gasket needs replacing.

To increase your post count, go here.. https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...fore-pm-72601/
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-07-17, 08:52 PM   #3

i would go with above leaky cam cover gasket or loose cam cover bolts

Old 16-07-17, 10:47 AM   #4

Thanks, I think it probably is the rocker/cam gasket, but what I'm unsure about is probably better explained with a pic (not my engine, but still):

Where B is the rocker gasket, C is the spark well seals, and D is presumably the seals for the recessed bolts(?).

Anyway, I'm struggling to find whether C/D are built into the cam cover (thus individually replaceable), or whether I'd need to buy a whole new cover - which I can't seem to find online anyway. I've seen the gasket on a few sites (though annoyingly out of stock), but not the plug seals (though admittedly I'm not really sure what to search for there.)

I know I could take the cover off and have a peek, but I'm pretty nervous that if the state of the seals is poor they may not seal at all on reassembly then I'll be royally screwed until I can get the parts.
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-07-17, 06:09 PM   #5

yes its the one in pic above, around a tenner on ebay o rings and main gasket.

tip, if you find a thick layer of gasket sealant in corners try not to scrape it off but you can clean the rest.

easy enough job but remember injector wires are clipped to the cover so just be a little careful not to yank cover up.

you can use a little grease to hold the lower o rings in place.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in