207 not starting key not recognised - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-07-18, 05:19 PM   #1

Default 207 not starting key not recognised

Hi , my sons 207 will not start after replacing the battery, he then told me that previously his key had dropped & opened and on inspection the transponder chip is missing, so the bsi doesn't recognise the key!
Peugeot being there most helpful selves suggested towing the car to them and they would fix it!
Firstly I require the 4 digit code and then I am assuming I need a new transponder chip but need help obtaining the 2 items any advice

Last edited by Rusty.gibbs; 21-07-18 at 08:11 PM.
Rusty.gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-07-18, 11:23 PM   #2

Sorry to bear bad tidings, but you need a brand new module in the fob as well as a new transponder chip. This because the two are coded together, and a used module cannot be re-used with another transponder chip.

In practice, you buy a new keyfob, and swap the blade from the old one into it. It then has to be programmed to the car, for which the Peugeot diagnostic equipment (Planet/Diagbox) is required, together with the 4-digit code. This will probably cost upwards of 120 from a dealer, but some car locksmiths may be cheaper, and will come to you.

You could consider getting a spare key made at the same time. A transponder key (no remote facility) should be about 20, plus cutting, and if the coding is done at the same time, it's only a couple of minutes extra.

Last edited by IanML; 14-07-18 at 11:28 PM.
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-07-18, 12:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice, I had hoped it wouldn't be to expensive but seems wise to get a spare key aswell while I have my hand in my pocket.

Old 15-07-18, 09:02 AM   #4

i am a vehicle locksmith btw

first the 207 key does not have a separate chip like older models but instead the remote fob pcb and chip to start car are all on the same pcb, i also fix keys and it could be possible to fix this through the post or if you are withing 40 miles of bd13 2pe i could possibly travel to you

quick test for you, make sure key is together and get in the car, close all doors, try start, turn off, leave key in ignition and open drivers door, do you get any beeping sounds?

if not then next open key and you will see a gold/copper coloured chip this is the aerial for the chip, take pcb out and squeeze gently and hold next to key (in same direction it goes in key case) while turning in ignition and see if it starts if this works then 2 ways to fix, 1 requires soldering and maybe new part, other requires someone to clone onto a separate chip
Old 15-07-18, 11:08 AM   #5

Thanks, unfortunately over 100 miles away.
A bit more history on the key fob, we bought a blank fob off eBay about 10 months ago as the only key we got with the car was always falling apart, I just swapped the blade over. It was all working fine until I changed the battery then the anti theft fault and now economy mode have appeared.
I have tried the key in and opened the door with no noise so it's not recognising the key.
If I can obtain the 4 digit code from a main dealer do you think this will then be able to be coded?
Thanks again for your help.
Old 18-07-18, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty.gibbs View Post
Thanks, unfortunately over 100 miles away.
A bit more history on the key fob, we bought a blank fob off eBay about 10 months ago as the only key we got with the car was always falling apart, I just swapped the blade over. It was all working fine until I changed the battery then the anti theft fault and now economy mode have appeared.
I have tried the key in and opened the door with no noise so it's not recognising the key.
If I can obtain the 4 digit code from a main dealer do you think this will then be able to be coded?
Thanks again for your help.
you just swapped the blade but yet it still works? <<< this confuses me as if you only swapped the blade and and left the new pcb inside the new key then this would not start the car unless you programmed it, or do you mean you bought a key case and not a key so then that would mean you put your key blade and pcb in the new case.

when you say it stopped working when you swapped the battery, do you mean the car battery or the key battery?

if the key is faulty the using the 4 digit pincode to program it will not work and will delete the key from the car when you go to program as the car will not see the key.
Old 21-07-18, 08:20 AM   #7

Smile

Hi Trustme,
Yes sorry just read my post and it's a bit vague to say the least, the fob was an empty blank and I just moved all the parts over, and it was the car battery I replaced.
As the key wasn't recognised as the transponder chip was missing, I bought a new virgin chip off eBay about a fiver with post, then visited Peugeot for the code 36 later I booked in Mike a mobile mech.and he has reprogrammed the new chip and I am pleased to say the car now starts fine. The next thing I will do is get another key cut and programmed so that my son has a spare!
Thanks for your advice all, hope this post might help someone out going forward.
Old 21-07-18, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Trustme,
Yes sorry just read my post and it's a bit vague to say the least, the fob was an empty blank and I just moved all the parts over, and it was the car battery I replaced.
As the key wasn't recognised as the transponder chip was missing, I bought a new virgin chip off eBay about a fiver with post, then visited Peugeot for the code 36 later I booked in Mike a mobile mech.and he has reprogrammed the new chip and I am pleased to say the car now starts fine. The next thing I will do is get another key cut and programmed so that my son has a spare!
Thanks for your advice all, hope this post might help someone out going forward.
first the 207 does not have a separate chip, the chip is on the pcb, see the attached picture bottom left is the chip, top right is the aerial.

sounds like you have a fault on your pcb for it to not work and give signal, if you program another chip it will delete that key out as the car can not see it, if you have key repaired it can be reprogrammed to that car.
Attached Thumbnails
untitled-1.jpg  
Old 21-07-18, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
first the 207 does not have a separate chip, the chip is on the pcb, see the attached picture bottom left is the chip, top right is the aerial.

sounds like you have a fault on your pcb for it to not work and give signal, if you program another chip it will delete that key out as the car can not see it, if you have key repaired it can be reprogrammed to that car.
The pcb is completely different to the one I have the battery isn't attached to the board as in the attached pic. So there must be different types.
Old 21-07-18, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
The pcb is completely different to the one I have the battery isn't attached to the board as in the attached pic. So there must be different types.
more like this one then
Attached Thumbnails
untitled-1.jpg  
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in