207 MOT'd in km but recorded in miles - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-08-15, 03:12 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 MOT'd in km but recorded in miles

I am really hoping you can help me. I previously owned a 207 . I was informed when I purchased the vehicle from a private trader in 2014 that the it had previously been MOT'd in km but incorrectly recorded in miles. I noticed last year the same thing appears to have happened again. I recently sold the vehicle and now the buyer is trying to take me to court because he says I have clocked the vehicle which I 100% have not.
This is the mileage history:
2010 - 9,890 (correct)
2011 - 19,755 km (12,227 miles)
2012 - 24,628 km (15,303 miles)
2013 - 17,018 (correct)
2014 - 34,337 km (21,336) miles
2015 - 30,795 (correct)
You can see that with the three recalculations in 2011, 2012 and 2014 the mileage history is much more consistent. However I obviously need to be able to prove this to be able to avoid court action.
How on earth can I get something in writing to prove that the car has not been clocked?
KDF3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-15, 06:35 PM   #2

This is bonkers, although you can change from miles to kms in the menu, the display in front of the steering wheel stays in miles presumably to comply with UK legislation. Surely you can show the purchaser your sales ad with the correct mileage. There must be a fault that in your old car that is alternating between miles and kms. I would forward a link to your post to the purchaser, I can't see that the different miles and kms in the DVLA records would make a significant impact to the car's value in any event.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-08-15, 07:47 PM   #3
Inactive User

So are you saying that it is possible that when it was MOT'd the mechanic could have read the odometer in km but recorded it in miles? I know the display stays at miles on the dashboard.
I have tried to explain this to the new buyer but he's not buying it.
I know on paper it looks dodgy but I stand by the fact that it hasn't been clocked but I have no idea how to prove it!
Such a nightmare!!

Old 30-08-15, 09:33 AM   #4

To the best of my knowledge UK MOT system only allows miles (my bike has KM speedo and they record miles for KM from odometer) You have very few options other than present info as post 1.

If it goes to court i would think you could provide enough info for the case to be thrown out as it is likely it could only be a civil claim by new owner.

As a caution for any one CHECK your MOT when issued you have 14 days if the mileage has been recorded incorrectly to get MOT station to change it after that you are stuck with what is shown on certificate
Old 30-08-15, 12:26 PM   #5

Might be worth getting in touch with your local VOSA office to see their take on it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...cement-offices
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-08-15, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default Proving the mileage

KDF3
go look at my posting here:-

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...owners-164161/

Download your MoT history for the vehicle. You will see that the recorded mileage at each test will state "miles" (or Km) as appropriate.

that should be sufficient proof.

kenzo
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-08-15, 06:05 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep64 View Post
Might be worth getting in touch with your local VOSA office to see their take on it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...cement-offices
Thanks I will do that after the weekend
Old 30-08-15, 06:06 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzo View Post
KDF3
go look at my posting here:-

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...owners-164161/

Download your MoT history for the vehicle. You will see that the recorded mileage at each test will state "miles" (or Km) as appropriate.

that should be sufficient proof.

kenzo
Thanks I have done that. The problem is the way it has been recorded. They've recorded it in miles incorrectly. I need to prove they have made an error
Old 30-08-15, 08:14 PM   #9

New buyer should have carried out a HPI check BEFORE handing over any money for the car as this would have picked up the mileage discrepancy's.

They could have also checked the MOT history online which again would have shown up the mileage readings.

Call the buyers bluff, let them try & take it to court.
Mr Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-08-15, 05:14 PM   #10

KDF3.
Did you buy the car BEFORE or AFTER the 2014 MOT.
If after, then in all honesty, I would have been a little bit worried about a mileage history that only made sense if the totals had sometimes been recorded as Kms, and sometimes in Miles. Why would that happen unless there is an actual fault with the car, and the odometer switched between the two at random. Is it not possible that previous to your ownership, the car HAS been clocked and you are just finding out the hard way that you should have been a bit less trusting when you bought it ? I'm sure you haven't done anything illegal, but that may not be true of a previous owner.
If you had the 2014 MOT after you bought the car, didn't you check the MOT certificate ?

I'm sorry - and not doubting your own honesty for one moment - but I just can't see how an MOT Tester could read the total from the dashboard in miles, and then convert that figure in to Kilometers before writing (typing) out the ticket.
david207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in