207 headlamp bulbs keep blowing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By trustme
  • 2 Post By ash1293

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-15, 07:37 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 headlamp bulbs keep blowing

Hi,

I have two 207's, a 2008 1.6 HDI 90 Sport SW and a 2012 1.6 HDI 92 Allure.

Both cars have a tendency to blow their dip beam headlamp bulbs. Typically I have to change both bulbs on both cars at least once every winter. Usually one bulb goes, I replace it and then within 2-3 weeks, the other side goes.

They've been checked for charging issues and all is OK.

The Allure's headlights also flicker for a mile or so after start up but after that they remain constant.

Should I replace both bulbs at the same time as I'm thinking maybe the lone dip beam bulb is being overloaded for some reason ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-15, 10:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1967 View Post
Hi,

I have two 207's, a 2008 1.6 HDI 90 Sport SW and a 2012 1.6 HDI 92 Allure.

Both cars have a tendency to blow their dip beam headlamp bulbs. Typically I have to change both bulbs on both cars at least once every winter. Usually one bulb goes, I replace it and then within 2-3 weeks, the other side goes.

They've been checked for charging issues and all is OK.

The Allure's headlights also flicker for a mile or so after start up but after that they remain constant.

Should I replace both bulbs at the same time as I'm thinking maybe the lone dip beam bulb is being overloaded for some reason ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Andrew
are you using cheap bulbs? are you making sure you do not touch the glass on the bulb when changing?
ash1293 likes this.
Old 08-10-15, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
are you using cheap bulbs? are you making sure you do not touch the glass on the bulb when changing?
Also a point of note - 'high performance' bulbs such as night breakers etc often have a shorter life than standard quality bulbs, although I do think having to replace each year may be a tad excessive.

The below is taken direct from Osram:

There is a pictogram on the packaging: ”Standard lamps = half bar” and “NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED = a quarter bar”. What does it mean?

These symbols stand for the service life of the bulbs. However, that does not mean that NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED bulbs have only a bit more than half the service life of a standard bulb. Just like the service life of a battery depends on the electrical appliance to be operated, the service life of headlight bulbs depends e.g. on the quality of the power supply in the different cars. Therefore, no absolute values can be specified for the life span of these products. The bar symbols however, point to a shortened service life compared to standard bulbs.

There are customers who are mainly driving in the daytime, with their lights switched on. These drivers prefer a long bulb life to a high light output. Especially for this application, OSRAM offers the ULTRA LIFE family with up to three times the service life of standard bulbs (and OSRAM even offers a three year guarantee for ULTRA LIFE headlight bulbs).

On the other hand, there are customers for whom the optimum road illumination at night is most important. The clear majority of drivers look for bulbs that have more light power. Light intensity is mentioned as the most significant purchasing criterion by 41% of the people surveyed (GfK 2002 - German market survey). For these drivers who accept a shorter service life in favour of more light, OSRAM offers the NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED with up to 110% more light on the road (compared to standard bulbs).
roybach and Pug407sw like this.

Old 08-10-15, 05:19 PM   #4

I've used Osram Night Breaker in my 207 before. I fitted a pair of them in place of the "standard" dipped beams. They lasted about 8 months !!! I do about 10K miles a year and at a rough guess I would say the dipped beams are on for about 25% of that time. The lamps were very slightly brighter than the standard ones and the light was slightly whiter. The difference I noticed was minimal though so once they'd blown I went back to "standard" lamps which cost me about £7.50 for a pair on Amazon. I've had those in for about 2 years now and neither have blown.
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in