207 Hdi rough idle and cutting out. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-15, 10:03 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 Hdi rough idle and cutting out.

207 1.4 Hdi 2009.
Please, can anyone help with a little differential diagnosis.
Symptoms: Engine cuts out at low revs; junctions, lights etc and idles really rough 'some' of the time. If it cuts out it's difficult to start but while it's running it runs really smoothly and has no problems with acceleration or cruising. There are no warnings or faults flashing up on the display...
I've tried running some injector cleaner through it, no joy. Disconnected the MAF sensor ( which made a difference on a similar vehicle I used to own ) no joy.
I'm supposed to be driving to the south of France in 9 days and it being Christmas can only afford to fix the fault rather than have a garage replace all the things that 'might' be the cause.
Help would be very, very much appreciated
E2a: This only seems to happen when the engine has reached normal running temperature.

Last edited by No1Skelly; 09-12-15 at 10:37 PM.
No1Skelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-15, 11:06 PM   #2

I suggest it's the Idle Air Control Valve.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-15, 11:17 PM   #3
Inactive User

Love the suggestion, but can't find any reference to the location or where to buy a new one specific to my engine... I'm not hoping someone will do all the work for me but I honestly can't find it in relation to my model.

Old 10-12-15, 08:25 AM   #4
Inactive User

It's a diesel, diesels are unthrottled so don't have an IAC valve. Chances are the issue is going to be one of three things. Check for any vacuum leak on any of the air intake pipes, if they're OK check the egr valve, could be stuck open a clean with wd40 will sort this temporarily. Of the egr is OK it's probably an air leak into the fuel line below the airbox, it rubs slightly on the 1.4 and eventually causes a tiny hole
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-15, 08:30 AM   #5

Needs a proper diagnostic to find what's wrong:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...gnostic-28190/

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...70/#post529130
Old 10-12-15, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks Gibbo, I've taken those steps while persuing all routes as I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Joe336, the egr route is where I'm headed today... I don't think it'll be the fuel line as that was replaced less than a year ago. I haven't seen/heard any air leaks and the failure seems to be when the engine is proper hot rather than at urban running hot. I shall report on today's success/failure if this doesn't hit the spot. Thanks for the advice :-)
Old 10-12-15, 08:59 AM   #7
Inactive User

Yeah the vacuum leak is unlikely but still worth a check, I would still check the fuel lines too as if they were installed incorrectly they could have worn through more quickly plus the priming bulb can be a culprit for this as well if you have one fitted. If you clean the egr valve and it sorts the problem is look at blanking it off of I were you (in fact I'd do that anyway)
Old 10-12-15, 09:34 AM   #8
Inactive User

Interesting. What does blanking it off do ? I've seen this mentioned in many posts and plates available on Ebay etc but not really sure what the effect is...
Old 10-12-15, 09:43 AM   #9
Inactive User

Essentially it blocks the gas from re entering the air that goes into the cylinder. As it doesn't burn it is just taking up space in there when the valve opens, meaning the diesel isn't burning as hot which means it burns less efficiently. But the biggest gain is it prevents soot from entering which contaminates the oil.
Old 10-12-15, 12:13 PM   #10
Inactive User

There's a visable groove in the top which seems to be making it stick. Waiting for a part now... Fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in