207 Brake hissing noise - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-13, 09:09 AM   #1
Inactive User

Exclamation 207 Brake hissing noise

Hi all,

Peugeot 207 HDI S 57 Plate, 49888k on the clock.

I took my car in for an MOT and service on Monday evening, rear pads and discs were replaced which I knew had to be done. A few issues with the lights were resolved and the car passed.

I picked the car up yesterday and now every time (moving or stationary) I press the brake pedal I get a hissing noise from the passenger footwell. I've spoke to the garage and was told the front brakes never got touched (which is worrying as it's just had its MOT)

Inside the footwell it looks like the carpet has been moved and there's now a space towards the engine, so guessing this could amplify the noise.
I've read on a few pages that it's the brake booster but there seems to be a lot of mixed messages regarding the noise, ranging from" It's normal" to "stop driving now it's dangerous."

I'm going back to the garage tomorrow, would just like some to know what the issue is before I get told some story.

Thanks
lab7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-13, 09:39 AM   #2
Inactive User

Cheers for the quick reply, is this a costly repair? Is it still safe to drive?

Another thing, the car never made this noise before its service / MOT is this something the garage could of cocked up?

Last edited by lab7; 04-07-13 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 10:27 AM   #3

On the 306 its a common problem and is the check valve on the servo or a split pipe.

Do the cheap things first by checking the pipes and valve. The valve sits in the servo on the engine side and just pulls out.

Servos aren't dear, but it depends how its mounted to the bulkhead and how hard it is to get to the securing bolts. On the 306 its supposed to be a dash-out job (but you can get to it by dropping the steering wheel), so lots of hours labour.

But all this is based on my 306 experience.

What happens after a few quick presses of the brake pedal?

Last edited by Gibbo; 04-07-13 at 10:30 AM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-13, 10:59 AM   #4
Inactive User

Short presses.

Engine off. Pedal firms up, noise reduces to ratio of firmness.

Engine on. Pedal firms up but releases after a second. Noise still present.
Old 04-07-13, 12:09 PM   #5
Inactive User

on an MOT they test the brakes by slamming them on when the wheels are spinning to check if they are balanced etc so this could have "released" something.

How ever with any issue with brakes or steering...get it off the road and into a garage for a professional look...I would hate to say its fine then you go injure/damage something or someone.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-13, 12:17 PM   #6
Inactive User

john_h knowing what they do in the MOT, slamming on has cleared my head a little.

Hopefully its just loosened the connection to the valve, could this make sense as its not a constant his only when the pedal is pressed which I'm guessing would put the connection under more force.

thanks
Old 04-07-13, 04:59 PM   #7
Inactive User

So I've been back to the mechanic. He pulled out some of the carpet from behind the glove box where the noise is coming from and said its the bellows been noisy and nothing to worry about.

Should I worry, and is the noise here to stay?
Old 04-07-13, 06:11 PM   #8
Inactive User

Bit low on funds atm, will it survive the week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in