207 Ancillary Drive Belt Replacement and Battery Charging Issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406
  • 1 Post By stripe88
  • 1 Post By wightpug
  • 1 Post By wightpug
  • 1 Post By WillNZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-12-17, 02:27 PM   #1

Exclamation 207 Ancillary Drive Belt Replacement and Battery Charging Issues

G'day guys! Merry Xmas and happy new year!

Recently I found out my 207cc (EP6 engine with Al4 automatic gearbox) got some strange noise when cold start, only around 3 seconds then disappeared, and sometimes the car will enter economic mode automatically. After using pp2000, the engine department and BSI got zero fault codes. I reckon the noise is coming from the ancillary/serpentine/aux belt. After checking with service-box(offline version) and some youtube videos, it seems not too hard to change it by myself. Have anyone replace it before?

Another problem is the voltage issue. I just replaced a new battery a few months ago. But a few days ago I was driving my car less than 5 mins, it stops while traffic-jam. I was so nervous and only remember the battery logo was flashing, So I start the car again and it drives fine. The battery is showing 12.8 volts when parked (i guess it's fine). However, when the car is running/idling, the battery only shows 13.4 volts. I believe that means my alternator/charging system got some issue. I hope to replace my belt will fix that.

The attached files are my fault codes and battery voltage graphs. Does anyone know the meaning of alternator excitation voltage? It shows zero when the car is idling. I can't find any fault codes related to battery/alternator. 2.jpg 23.jpg

I also wish to ask about where can I get the ancillary drive belt? I can't find the correct parts number. The possible ancillary drive belt part number is 5750 RG, but I am not sure if it is the correct one. When search 5750 RG with google it comes out as Gate V belt 6PK905. Can anyone confirm that? Also, does anyone know why my alternator excitation voltage shows zero? kind of worry about my alternator.

I just checked my spark plugs, there're Bosch OEM parts, and the Gap is 0.040mm. Do I need to change them as well? Should I stay with Bosch one or chose NGK platinum one? Thanks! Has anyone used NGK platinum for the ep6 engine before?

Thanks for any advice! Merry Xmas and happy new year!

Regards
James
LionCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-12-17, 04:26 PM   #2

You do realise the noisy belt is what drives the alternator so if its slipping it wont fully charge !!

Economy mode is a separate issue but is connected in so much as if the battery is not getting charged then the battery is not good enough so economy mode comes on to protect it.

Your looking too deeply into what is a simple issue.
LionCC likes this.
Old 30-12-17, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
You do realise the noisy belt is what drives the alternator so if its slipping it wont fully charge !!

Economy mode is a separate issue but is connected in so much as if the battery is not getting charged then the battery is not good enough so economy mode comes on to protect it.

Your looking too deeply into what is a simple issue.

Hi, Reliable406,

Thank you for the reply! I think the belt is the main problem since it's a ten years old car. Just so confused with finding the correct belt.

Old 30-12-17, 08:17 PM   #4

i just asked for the belt at the local motor factors, i used a trolley jack and block of wood under the tension arm then jacked it from the front of the car until the locking pin went through the hole.
best to remove the wheeltrim plastic as you also have to pull a cable to release the pulley from the water pump.
LionCC likes this.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-18, 04:48 PM   #5

Default Reply from wightpug

Hi James,
I also run a 207cc with EP6 engine, fitted NGK PLZKBR7B 8DG at the last sevice, now covered 8K miles since, runs perfect
Sounds like fitting new ancillary drive belt will solve your problems, it's quite straight forward once you have removed inner wheel arch linner to gain access.
Haynes Manual or U tube are good guide.
Hope this helps

Ralph

Isle of Wight, U.K.

207CC GT
LionCC likes this.
wightpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-18, 03:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wightpug View Post
Hi James,
I also run a 207cc with EP6 engine, fitted NGK PLZKBR7B 8DG at the last sevice, now covered 8K miles since, runs perfect
Sounds like fitting new ancillary drive belt will solve your problems, it's quite straight forward once you have removed inner wheel arch linner to gain access.
Haynes Manual or U tube are good guide.
Hope this helps

Ralph

Isle of Wight, U.K.

207CC GT
Hi Ralph,
Thank you for the reply! I have ordered the same NGK spark plugs as you listed.
I also did replace the drive belt yesterday, but the voltage still stays 13.2v when the car is idling(I heard the voltage should be around 13.6v to 14.2v when the car is running).
I might need to change the pully as well since the startup noise still remains. Yea, I am still considering should I buy Haynes since I got the full version service-box, it seems like covered everything.
Thanks for the help and Happy new year!

Regards

James

Sydney, Australia

Last edited by LionCC; 05-01-18 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-01-18, 07:07 PM   #7

Default Re NGK Plugs

Hi James

Glad to be of some help, NGKs should be good for 40K miles.
Just in case you are unaware, you will need a 14mm bi hex (12 point) thin walled magnetic plug socket 250mm long in order to fit them.

Regards, Ralph

I.o.W U.K
LionCC likes this.
wightpug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-18, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCC View Post
(I heard the voltage should be around 13.6v to 14.2v when the car is running)
Correct. There is something wrong with your charging, should be at least 13.6v even with all lights etc running. Check your main ground wires from battery to body to engine in case a bad grounding is causing it but it is possible you have a bad diode in the alternator rectifier setup.
LionCC likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in