207 Alternator Problem??? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-11-17, 01:06 PM   #1

Default 207 Alternator Problem???

Hi,

Was after some advice on an 'Electrical Circuit Fault' message that appeared on our 207. Its a 2010 1.4 8v petrol 34k miles.

3 months ago we replaced the battery as we noticed it was having a hard time starting. Did a quick battery test and was down to 10.5v before starting. As it was the original battery and winter was approaching we replaced with a heavy duty one. All fine after that.

Then about 2 weeks ago we had a 'Electrical Circuit Fault' message appear then disappear for a few days, then re appear. Googled it and read that it could be the alternator. So tested the new battery and it was down to 11v. Started the engine and it went to 12v, reved the engine and it stayed at 12v. held the engine at 3000rpm and it stayed at 12v. So took it to a trusted indy garage and got hem to look (without telling them what I had done) and they came back saying the alternator isn't working.

So ordered a new alternator. After much frustration which involved a call to Peugeot for the part number and confirmation of what amp it needed to be, we order from ECP - Lucas, 12v, 80amp. The old one that came out had the exact same part number on - I wanted to check due to the faff over getting the right one in the first place.

So fitted it on the weekend, then tested it, but still only 12v at the battery even when reving the engine!!!

Now I note that on the specs it says the output is 12v, there are other alternators that say 14v. So should I not expect to see 14v when the engine is running??

Sounds like I'm asking a bloody stupid question, but cant find anything to point me in the right direction.

Haven't checked the output on the exciter wire yet, have looked in the fuse box but cant see any signs of water ingress. I did look at the earth point on the gearbox although didn't clean up as it looked ok. Might do this next just to be sure.

Any suggestions or pointers ???
MattGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-11-17, 06:25 PM   #2

Good condition, charged battery should hold around 12.5v overnight. When charging should be around 14.4v.

Make sure your ground points are good.. remove, clean, replace. While doing this, take a resistance reading between alternator body and engine as sometimes corrosion of the alternator mounting points can affect proper grounding. Also, check continuity and supply value on exciter wire.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-17, 12:54 PM   #3

Default Sorted

Hi,

Did a quick check of the ground wire, and although it looked ok gave it a clean anyway.

Tested the exciter wire and was around 8v with ignition on (engine not running). Started the engine and hey presto 14v at battery!

Might have been the ground or maybe loose exciter wire?

Will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for the pointers.
MattGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-18, 06:47 PM   #4

Default wires

[QUOTE=MattGalaxy;1994001]Hi,

Did a quick check of the ground wire, and although it looked ok gave it a clean anyway.

Tested the exciter wire and was around 8v with ignition on (engine not running). Started the engine and hey presto 14v at battery!

Will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for the pointers.[/QUOTE

I got a 2012 1.4 petrol and the alternator is not charging properly either, when I drive the car with a fully charged battery after 1 and a half hours the battery light comes on and after another 15 min the battery is dead. Where can I find this exciter wire ? are we talking about the plug which goes into the alternator? And the ground wire where should i clean that one? is it where it goes into the alternator where it corrodes?
Konrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-18, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGalaxy View Post
Hi,

Will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for the pointers.
HI EVERYONE,

I got a 2012 1.4 petrol and the alternator is not charging properly either, when I drive the car with a fully charged battery after 1 and a half hours the battery light comes on and after another 15 min the battery is dead. Where can I find this exciter wire ? are we talking about the plug which goes into the alternator? And the ground wire where should i clean that one? is it where it goes into the alternator where it corrodes?
Konrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-18, 03:56 PM   #6

I'm bumping this because I'm only getting 12.5 V with the engine running too.
Would also like to know what this "exciter" wire is.
AntonV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-05-18, 06:31 PM   #7

These alternators are controlled by the bsi generally and the BSI decides when to switch it on it does not charge constantly like older cars hence the 8 volt reading at the exciter wire it may well have been in the off state the most likely thing for most of these issues is actually a bad connection rather than a faulty alternator.
Old 16-05-18, 07:10 PM   #8

8V is about right for any alternator exciter wire most are still designed to work with a Battery light so the bulb illumintation lowers voltage to alternator.

The exiter wire is the thin wire to the alternator
Old 18-05-18, 06:28 AM   #9

OK, many thanks for the replies. However I checked maxi fuses, grounding, and continuity on both cables and all is OK. It still only produces 12.5V max with the engine revving so am guessing the brushes have worn out.
I'm sourcing a second hand alternator now and found a brush kit on Ebay for 3.

Am I right in guessing that the ECU will not run the main fan or AC if it does not sense sufficient voltage with the engine running? that might explain why I cannot get the fan to spin even though I know it works (just replaced it and tested it with 12 volts).
Old 25-05-18, 04:15 PM   #10

I've replaced the alternator now and get 14+ volts when running the engine.
Also recharged the battery, drove about for a bit, tested the radiator fan on both speeds and everything seems to work OK apart from the AC - nothing happens when I turn that on.

However, I still get an ENGINE ERROR flashing msg on the MFD when I start the engine (which flashes for a while then goes away) and a triangle & exclamation sign warning light on constantly.

Had it hooked up to a garage OBD2 reader and it found no errors. Still looking for someone with PP2000 in or near West London to get it tested with that too.

Any ideas what the msg might be hinting at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in