207 1.6HDI Sportium Frozen Diesel - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-13, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 1.6HDI Sportium Frozen Diesel

I was driving my 2011 207 1.6HDI(90) Sportium home from work Wednesday night when the engine warning light appeared on the dash followed by the message "Engine Fault, Repair Needed". At the time there was no sign of a problem so I continued my journey knowing there was a Peugeot dealer within a couple of miles. About 2 minutes later the engine just cut out; I coasted to a halt, switched off the ignition and tried to restart the engine. It started OK and ran for another couple of minutes before dying again. I repeated this process another couple of times before I made it to the Peugeot dealer.

Once they had looked at it they told me the problem was due to the cold weather the diesel had done waxy, clogged the fuel filter and not enough fuel was getting to the fuel pump. Without actually saying it they also implied the diesel was a poor quality. They replaced the filter and drained the fuel tank, replacing the fuel with what they called a 'quality' fuel, I think it was from BP, additionally they put a winter fuel additive in with it. The whole thing cost around 300

Has anyone else experienced this? I live in Essex and the temperature had been -5^C pretty much all day, the car is always outside. I always fill up at the same Shell garage, does it sound like they have had diesel in their pumps without the cold weather additive?

I'm not sure what to do to stop this happening again. Obviously I won't be using that Shell garage again, but are any of the others going to be any better or is this car prone to these problems. I know I could use the fuel additive every time I fill up during the winter but this will significantly increase the running costs of the car; as it is the 300 garage bill has effectively wiped out any advantage I've gained over the last year from driving a diesel.

I'd be grateful for any advice, I can't believe Essex is too cold a place for a 207HDI to operate.
Sportium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-13, 12:41 PM   #2

Hi, I have the same car as you. Reading your description of the problem it sounds more likely there was some moisure (water) in the deisel and this had frozen in the fuel filter becoming ice and was partially blocking the flow. It is possible to get moisture in deisel (shouldn't happen with petrol though). Deisel should not turn "waxy" at only -5C unless there is something very wrong with it !! I would imagine if the deisel was of poor quality and had gone waxy or if there was moisture in it then the problem would have cleared by itself once the temperature returned to above zero C. I've certainly used my deisel Sportium below -5C without any problems.
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-13, 12:50 PM   #3

I agree with above the diesel is unlikely to wax at -5 but water in the fuel could freeze and restrict the flow

I tend to keep my tanks full in winter to avoid condensation building inside the tank

Last time we had a realy cold spell i had to wrap my fuel lines to avoid the fuel freezing im sure we had -20 then though
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-01-13, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive User

Well on a car left outside in Great Totham last week it was -14c so Im not suprised if cars suffered in Essex.
When I was at Peugeot we had a few in which suffered your car's problem a fuel filter and descent fuel usually cures it.
MadV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-13, 06:21 PM   #5
Inactive User

Bit of an update on this; despite having the fuel filter replaced and using diesel from the same garage the Peugeot dealer uses, the same warning light and message came up this morning when the temperature gauge was reading -6'C. Thankfully the car kept running and got me to work; it's back with the dealer tonight for another investigation. The replacement filter had probably only done about 50 miles.

Anybody got any more ideas or advice please?
Old 22-01-13, 07:22 PM   #6

Maybe worth the dealer looking at the fuel tank to see if there is water or debris etc in the tank.

I have a 307 HDI and have never had a problem in the low temps in the last big freeze -15 and the car started fine. If it is very cold i do run the car on Vpower Diesel it has a much lower wax point and i get better MPG which covers the cost.
Old 22-01-13, 09:49 PM   #7
Inactive User

Whom is the dealer out of interest..
Old 25-01-13, 04:49 PM   #8
Inactive User

I've got the car back now. The dealer (John Pease) had it for two days and one of the mechanics took it home with him overnight with diagnostic equipment attached to see what was happening on an extended test drive.
The second fault was traced to an electrical problem which was also showing the fault code for the fuel problem. They rewired something under the bonnet under warranty.
The temperature this morning was -8 and no problems, so hopefully it's sorted now.
Old 25-01-13, 10:49 PM   #9
Inactive User

Fairly local to me then..
Old 26-01-13, 03:53 PM   #10
Inactive User

I had the same problem. My 207 HDI gave me a dashboard warning saying "antipollution system error" or something like that. It did that three or four times and then the engine warning light came on and it went into limp mode. I drove it back to my local garage and it came out of limp mode after about a mile and stopped giving me dashboard error messages. The engine block lamp stayed on though. My local garage replaced the fuel filter and all has been well since. They said the same thing about waxy fuel - but also suggested that my filter might have been overdue a change. I haven't checked that out yet. It only cost me 85 though - but they didn't drain the fuel etc - just changed the filter.
vivthevic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in