207 1.6hdi cutting out suddenly - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-17, 11:21 PM   #1

Default 207 1.6hdi cutting out suddenly

Ongoing problem with my pug 207 1.6hdi sport. Year 2008. Bought it 3 years ago and soon after got Anti pollution fault display come on with engine management light.took to local peugeot dealer and plugged into computer which showed a code which they told me was likely the E.G.R.valve faulty.went on ebay and bought a new egr valve which i fitted.no change,still showing fault and engine light on but car ran ok,plenty zip and apparently normal. A few months later when about to overtake a truck with speed about 60mph there was a beep from dash and engine cut out,managed to free wheel into side road.engine would not start again during freewheeling but when car came to a halt started as normal .continued on my journey with no more problem. Engine began cutting out more frequently until it is unsafe to take on the road now. Took to local garage who said probably EGR valve. Took valve off and not clogged only a little soot arounf inside of ports.got code reader plugged in which gave a code for fuel rail pressure too high.live data on code reader gave 3,600 psi to a max of 14,500psi at high revs when under load. Any idea's what the problem may be ? P.s. a second or so before engine cuts out a heavier "diesel knock " is heard. When engine cuts out ,Oil pressure too low alarm is displayed.
Goofla1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-09-17, 03:41 PM   #2

Have a look at this link:
Recall Details for PEUGEOT - 207, 307, 407,308 & Partner
If this recall matches your car age & its not already been done, then your problems could be caused by this?
Any Renault dealer should be able to check if the recall is relevant and if it has been done.
I had similar behaviour in my 207 1.6 HDI when it was 3 years old & this fixed it - for free!
Its a proper recall - so should be free
Worth a try?
Hammerter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-09-17, 06:03 PM   #3

Hi HAMMERTER, thank you for that info and link.it applies to vehicles built from Jan to June 2008. My registration document shows car first reg in december 2008 .not sure how to proceed as car may well have been built during build dates given.

Old 15-09-17, 07:35 PM   #4

Yes, sorry about that, I said Renault garage!
Just phone your local PEUGEOT garage, give them your car reg and they should be able to tell if your car needs the recall or if its already had it
Quote them the recall number if they sound a bit puzzled, and like I said, if it is a recall it should be free!
Old 15-09-17, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerter View Post
Yes, sorry about that, I said Renault garage!
Just phone your local PEUGEOT garage, give them your car reg and they should be able to tell if your car needs the recall or if its already had it
Quote them the recall number if they sound a bit puzzled, and like I said, if it is a recall it should be free!
Thanks again.i will contact peugeot sales and service garage asap.
Old 15-09-17, 11:08 PM   #6

It's more likely to be the high pressure sensor at the end of the fuel rail going faulty. I had exactly the same symptoms on my 1.6 which I diagnosed with Peugeot Planet/diagbox. 70 for the sensor, remove wiring and inspect, unscrew sensor from end of the rail, pop the new one on, reconnect, done. If you haven't already done so you could try changing the fuel filter first, although that would normally trigger low pressure faults.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-09-17, 01:06 PM   #7

Heavy knock is the engine trying to keep itself going or more accurately the ecu altering things as it can sense it cutting out before it does and is trying to prevent it.

The oil pressure warning is a red herring ignore it its only coming on BECAUSE its cutting out.
Old 16-09-17, 06:12 PM   #8

Hi Eccles.thank you for reply. I have been going through things bit by bit ,oil and filter change 3 weeks ago,crankshaft sensor,oil pressure sensor,fuel rail pressure sensor last week,removed all visible earth cables cleaned terminals and surrounding area where seats along with wire brushing through bolts,new fuel filer,air filter,removed sump and oil pickup strainer all of which was spotless.even removed all fuses and emery papered spades, all is clean around injectors with no sign of oil or diesel present. What else can i do myself i wonder ? Am not a mechanic. Opened bonnet today,looked at the engine,cursed at it ,shut bonnet again !
Old 16-09-17, 06:21 PM   #9

Thanks Reliable 406. I suspected oil pressure warning was a red herring. And the cause of the heavy knocking makes sense as you have explained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in