207 1.6 Petrol SW 2008 Induction noise and smoke on idle - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By miaas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-19, 12:14 PM   #1

Default 207 1.6 Petrol SW 2008 Induction noise and smoke on idle

Hi all, first time poster and new sign up.

I was wondering if any seasoned Peugeot owners can advise at all, as never really had anything to do with French cars.

Long story (and it is) short.

207 SW 1.6 petrol 2008, a) smokes badly when on tickover when hot but not when driving and b) has an induction noise like it's fitted with a cone filter, but isn't

a) I've done some reading and thought it it may be the PCV diaphragm and so ordered one and fitted it, but has made no difference.
The smoke is definitely oil smoke as you can smell it.

b) I originally thought it was a blowing exhaust, getting a barrp on acceleration, but it's not, it's coming from the engine compartment and having tuned my ear in sounds like an engine with a performance filter fitted, but it doesn't have one fitted, any advise on what that may be?

Car has done about 105k , I've only done about 90 miles in it since owning it, so no visible oil usage as of yet.

Didn't know if somehow the two were linked and I was missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance for any help.
lenroc likes this.
miaas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-04-19, 05:47 PM   #2

is it a vti? do you have engine light on?
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-04-19, 07:19 PM   #3

I believe its the vti, its the 120bhp non turbo.

No engine light on (it is working as comes on with ignition ), no smoke on start up.
miaas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 24-04-19, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaas View Post
I believe its the vti, its the 120bhp non turbo.

No engine light on (it is working as comes on with ignition ), no smoke on start up.
Smoke mainly on startup is classic valve stem seals leaking - so maybe not that.

Smoke at other times suggests worn or sticking piston rings.

But one more idea - leaking rocker cover and a deteriorated inlet manifold gasket leak. Rocker cover leak at the rear would dribble down onto the inlet manifold. Leaking gasket would suck oil in and might also give the sound you describe. Just an idea.

Check of course the engine isn't overfilled with oil. Dipstick is a bit difficult to read with clean oil in the engine.

Last edited by Equinox; 24-04-19 at 07:57 PM.
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-04-19, 09:30 AM   #5

Many years ago we had all sorts of strange exhaust noises and it was all down to timing, but we DID get the eml light on.
Are you sure its oil and not a running rich engine as that kicks out smoke?

Always recomend a bleed on coolant if anything that side has been disturbed, the way i do it, rubber gloves and a hot running engine,squeeze top pipe hard a dozen times then release bleed valve on bulkhead just enough to see coolant, repeat a few times, seems air can trap around sensor and cause overfuel.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in