207 1.6 HDi sudden loss of engine power - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-15, 07:19 PM   #1

Default 207 1.6 HDi sudden loss of engine power

Hi,

Just wondered whether anyone has any ideas on a very intermittent problem I've had. My 207 1.6 HDi suffered a sudden loss of engine power on a dual carriageway today. The car built up speed to 70mph as normal from the slip road and then suddenly the engine started "shuddering" and the car lost speed down to about 45mph. I found the engine ran almost normally but a bit rough to about 1800 RPM but any attempt to increase engine revs by pressing the accelerator would cause the engine to run worse and road speed would decrease further. This problem has happened three times in about 14 months so I suspect if I visit the dealer they may not find the problem. On all three occasions it's happened the first time I build up to "motorway" speed at the start of a journey and obviously it's not pleasant having the car loose power on a busy dual carriageway in rush hour. I only use this vehicle for commuting to work these days and 80% of the 24 mile journey is at 70 mph.

I did look at the heads up display fault log during the fault and nothing was showing on the fault log page. After about ten minutes the fault cleared (as it did on the two previous occasions) and normal engine power returned. I have wondered when this happened before whether it's related to the DPF cleaning itself but surely that happens without causing anything quite so noticeable ? The car is year 2011 with 45K miles (full service history). It has had a replacement engine bay wiring loom fitted (won't go into that !!!!) but I'm 99% sure the first instance of this fault was before that disaster happened. Any ideas ?
mattalsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-08-15, 07:38 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalsop View Post
The car is year 2011 with 45K miles (full service history). Any ideas ?
Matt, when was the diesel fuel filter last changed? Are you sure it was done at the last service?
Has a diagnostic been run since the latest problem?
Kenzo
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-08-15, 07:54 PM   #3

Hi, good question and I've just looked. It was changed at the 25K miles service in August 2013 (main dealer) and I remember noticing the filter looked brand new after that service. The first time I experienced the fault would have been about 32K miles........but that's a rough guess. The filter appears not to have been changed at the August 2014 service (37,500 miles). I've not had any diagnostics done at all for this problem. Do you think the diesel filter is a good place to start ? If it's a possible cause then I'll make sure it's gets changed as the car is due for MoT and service in a few weeks.

Old 14-08-15, 09:39 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalsop View Post
Do you think the diesel filter is a good place to start ? .
Matt, it's certainly the cheapest place to start ! Not too long ago I went through a similar experience. A new Peugeot diesel filter cost me around 35.

Get someone to run diagnostics and see if there's any error codes in memory. If no errors, get the filter changed anyway.
kenzo
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-08-15, 10:32 PM   #5
Inactive User

Sounds like a sticking egr which is cutting boost to me, I would take the valve out and clean it then refit with the blanking plate if I were you. Though a dirty/faulty maf can also cause this, so may be worth unplugging (the plug just off the outlet of the airbox) it and running it and see if it happens first
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-08-15, 10:44 PM   #6

First thing I would do is dont following the 20k mile service regime change the oil every 10k miles if you drive it at lower engine speeds a lot the egr may well be getting gummed up with carbon these engines need good use of the rev range and regular oil changes more often than Peugeot say !
Old 14-08-15, 10:50 PM   #7
Inactive User

To be fair the 20k service regime was altered in 2006 so its unlikely that its been serviced at that rate
joe366 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-08-15, 11:09 PM   #8

Yes but some people read 20k and think its ok as there are a lot of conflicting messages going around and the handbooks are clear as mud sometimes !

Its unlikely the servicing is the reason but it could end up being the reason for turbo failure later
Old 15-08-15, 08:38 AM   #9

Thank you for all the good advice . My 207 has been serviced at intervals of 12,500 miles as per the service indicator on the dash. That works out to about one service per 12 or 13 months.

I'll certainly change the diesel filter and I'll make sure I use more of the rev range. I'll also look into having a diagnostic check done to see if it shows anything before I take anything apart. I have a friend who has changed an EGR valve before so I can get help with that if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in