207 1.4 VTI - excessive oil consumption? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-12, 08:34 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 1.4 VTI - excessive oil consumption?

Hello, newbie here so my apologies if this has been answered before. I could only find threads about 207s with the HDI engine.

I have 207 1.4 VTI, 2008 57 model with 65k on the clock. I seem to be putting in a lot of oil - it needs topping up every couple of tanks.

Does this seem excessive? It does to me. There are no obvious oil leaks.
207 Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-12, 09:40 PM   #2
Inactive User

How much are you putting in every time you top up and how far do you go before fill ups?
MadV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-12, 10:04 PM   #3
chopper1192

How much per 1000 miles?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-12, 10:08 PM   #4
Inactive User

I am putting in about half a litre every couple of tanks - about every 800 miles.

Basically, I put oil in every time I get the 'check oil' message. On checking actual dipstick the level is just about at the lower marker each time.
Old 04-12-12, 10:17 PM   #5
rogersimons

have you checked to see if you have blue smoke out the exhaust you could be burning it.you shouldnt be topping it up that much so often.theres not alot of places it could be going if theres no leaks then chances are your burning it which could be vaulve guide seals or worn piston rings..
Old 04-12-12, 11:13 PM   #6
Inactive User

this was a big problem with toyotas vvti engines too they needed new short engine...what type of oil. are you using??
frankie406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-12, 12:08 PM   #7
Inactive User

I'm using 5w30 fully synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1.

I haven't noticed any excessive smoke, but I will ask the wife to rev the engine whilst I have a look.

Would excessive oil burning cause an emissions fail on MOT? As it passed with no problems just recently.
Old 05-12-12, 07:53 PM   #8
Inactive User

hi tom try using a heavier oil like 10/40....i think 5/30 is too light almost like pee lol...my avensis drinks the oil but thats a fault on these...an will need a new short engine..mine has passed mot no probs just make sure you heat that cat up before u go to centre.an try using new oil before the test too.i put lucus oil stabilizer in with my oil seems to help .!just keep an eye on it an keep it topped up
Old 06-12-12, 09:00 AM   #9
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 Tom View Post
I am putting in about half a litre every couple of tanks - about every 800 miles.

Basically, I put oil in every time I get the 'check oil' message. On checking actual dipstick the level is just about at the lower marker each time.
A little over half a litre every 1000 miles isn't desirabłe, but isn't excessive. Anything up to 0.75 litre/1000 miles is considered acceptable consumption, but is still more that I would want.

It's a tricky one. There could be a problem, or it could've been badly run in (ragged from day 1 will do it, a big problem with high performance bikes and impatient owners). For reasons not entirely understood all-alloy engines are prone to this.

If it is glazed bores you're stuck with it unless you want to stomach the cost of a full engine strip for a bore hone.

They youre looking at stuff like valve stem seals, the engine breather system etc. check for a puff of blue smoke of starting, or blue smoke on revving.

Whatever you do, do not be tempted to use a heavier grade of oil unless it is on the list of oils for your engine. Modern motors are so finely machined that even the thickness of the oil film is critical and you can quickly bollocks it up. The 1.6 HDi and old 1.2 Poxhaul unit are examples of motors particularly succeptible to damage in the way. In any case, if its glazed bores, valve seals, breather pumping etc then heavier oil won't make any difference.

I'd have a look and a bit if an investigation, but that's still within the consumption tolerance quoted in the ICME by Peugeot, Renault, VW, MINI and a few others, doing its nothing obvious its probably safe to live with if you're keeping it topped up.
207 Tom likes this.
Old 06-12-12, 01:53 PM   #10
Inactive User

10/40 is totally safe to use on the engine i have been using 5/30 fully synth on my avensis an was told by toyota to not use it as its too light and to use 10/40 semi..5/30 is ok on a brand new engine till about 10/15000..and as i say its like piss!!look in your hand book its recommended!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in