207 1.4 petrol, Fan stays on - cooling system issue? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-13, 10:56 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 1.4 petrol, Fan stays on - cooling system issue?

Hi,

I have seen a lot of posts about cooling fans staying on when the engine is off, but I have a different issue.....

During the winter months, my wife’s 56 plate 1.4cc 207, the cooling fan started coming on low not long after the engines been started in the morning, the engine is cold and barely registering any temperature on the dash gauge, but the cooling fan kicks in. There was plenty of coolant in the expansion tank, (at the time, one other thought is the pump had failed or a blockage and there's a local build-up of heat.)
Things never seemed to get any worse or better so I have been monitoring it since then.
At the time, there was a few drops of oil on the coolant surface, but now there seems to be a thin film, however I’m not losing any water (over the last 4 months) and there is no sign of low oil or white foaming in the dipstick or the rocker cover. If the head gasket had failed, I would have thought this might be the case?

So, these are the possible symptoms,

• Fan keeps kicking in, temp hovering around 90.
• No water pumping out of small bore hose running back to top of expansion tank (should it?)
• Film of dark oil in expansion tank
• It doesn’t always start without a tiny bit of throttle (once it does it’s fine)
• Idle can seem a little rough
• Got P0598 (thermostat short) once but not seen it again

Things that seem fine

• Oil level and colour / no noticeable contamination
• Internal blower heat is nice and hot
• Power output good
• Clear exhaust
• Great at high revs
• Not stalling

Here are my ideas;
1. Thermostat shot? I'm assuming the cooling fan gets its temperature from a different sensor to the one on the dash and my thought is that that what may be at fault, is it what looks like an all in one thermostat housing front right?
2. Pump shot? I would say no as its moving water round the heater matrix and there’s no metallic / bearing sounds, although there is no water coming out the return feed (should there be?)
3. Head gasket shot? Although it’s only a small amount of oil in the expansion tank, does this automatically mean the head gaskets failed?
4. Is it possible the systems not been bled correctly and this is a result?
Any help would be EPIC!
Bozzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-05-13, 08:07 AM   #2

David Ireland will be along shortly to confirm if it needs a software update.

I've had experience with fan coming on and not going off on numerous 307s, it was down to dirty connections on the relays behind the front grille.
Old 21-05-13, 08:19 AM   #3
davidireland

What year is the 207?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 21-05-13, 08:53 AM   #4

September 2006 David.
Old 21-05-13, 12:35 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for looking chaps, it is indeed a Sept 2006.

My biggest worry is that small amount of oil in the expansion tank, that maybe the kicker to trading her in.......
Old 21-05-13, 01:38 PM   #6
davidireland

Is it eight or sixteen valve. Im taking eight as the eight has a controled thermostat.
Is strongly advise checking the controlled thermostat electrical connector. If its wet with coolant get back to me.
Old 21-05-13, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive User

Not sure - at work and not got access to the car. A quick look on the web, and it remarkably similar to this one attached.

I circled roughly where the thermostat housing is, on the underside of it is an electrical connector. It seems dry to me.
Attached Thumbnails
207_engine_small.jpg  
Old 21-05-13, 08:46 PM   #8
davidireland

The connector will be underneath the thermostat. There is a yellow piece on the housing that the connector is connected to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in