207 1.4 Petrol - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-17, 11:47 AM   #1

Default 207 1.4 Petrol

Some may have seen my other thread about problems with the gearbox linkage on my 207 1.4 Diesel. I have now had a good look, and there is a lot of wear on the selector mechanism. The clutch is also getting fairly worn, the bodywork has battle scars from two learner drivers, it's now done over 100k miles so .............. bottom line ............. it's probably not worth getting it mended. Even on a good day, it's only going to be worth a few hundred pounds.

There's a 2008 1.4S Petrol for sale locally which looks OK. Low mileage, good service history and MOT record, and fair price (less than 2k).
I'm familiar with my car, so have good idea what to look for, but don't know the petrol engine / gearbox and whether it has any known weaknesses or potential issues. I gather it's a cam chain, not belt ?

Have looked at the exterior and it's worth a second visit and a test drive. Any advice on anything else to watch out for gratefully accepted.
Cheers,
David.
david207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-17, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david207 View Post
Some may have seen my other thread about problems with the gearbox linkage on my 207 1.4 Diesel. I have now had a good look, and there is a lot of wear on the selector mechanism. The clutch is also getting fairly worn, the bodywork has battle scars from two learner drivers, it's now done over 100k miles so .............. bottom line ............. it's probably not worth getting it mended. Even on a good day, it's only going to be worth a few hundred pounds.

There's a 2008 1.4S Petrol for sale locally which looks OK. Low mileage, good service history and MOT record, and fair price (less than 2k).
I'm familiar with my car, so have good idea what to look for, but don't know the petrol engine / gearbox and whether it has any known weaknesses or potential issues. I gather it's a cam chain, not belt ?

Have looked at the exterior and it's worth a second visit and a test drive. Any advice on anything else to watch out for gratefully accepted.
Cheers,
David.
Hi David,

Just wondering how you got on? did you buy the car?

If it is the VTI engine then it has chain, not sure about non VTI. I bought one which had apparently had the chain done (undocumented) and guess what within 6 months it needed doing to a cost of 600. Plus another few hundred for dephaser pulleys/solenoid valve.

Also there is the known problem of water ingress to the wiring loom so would be worth removing the ECU plugs and checking for any signs of this.

Other things just general items e.g when i bought mine i forgot to test the remote locking (schoolboy error i know) and it turns out it wasn't working, have tried everything and still doesn't work 18 months later.

Also be aware you can pick up a good SE premium model for that price which has extras such as Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Dual Zone Climate and Velour seats. Cruise control is also very easy to add to any model aswell.
scoey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-17, 12:03 PM   #3

Thanks for that. Car is still available and I'm still interested. I think the dealer would come down a bit if pushed. I have two grown-up sons (one 19 and one 22) both of whom will need insurance for this car, and I'm surprised to find quite a bit difference between the 1.4 Petrol and 1.4 Diesel - a couple of hundred pounds a year. It is the S.VTi model so pretty sure it's a cam chain, not belt.
We're very rural, so I'm going to try and get through the winter with the "old" car - sod's law says I get a replacement with perfect bodywork and ten minutes later, one of the boys (or me or Mrs D) slides into a ditch on an icy lane. !

But - it's very tempting !!
david207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-17, 02:31 PM   #4

car insurance can be very hit and miss, sometimes the bigger engines turn out cheaper, daughter just got a quote on a fiesta 1.6 ST and it was almost half of what she pays on the peugeot 1.6vti cc, very strange.

I like the 207 but it has caused alot of work for me over the years, and can cost extra on oil as they are designed to use it.

I know all used cars have their gremlins but the daughters seems to have more than the average car.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in