207 1.4 16v cam belt change - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-15, 10:12 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207 1.4 16v cam belt change

I have the gasket oil leak problem on my 207 1.4 16v petrol engine (56 reg with 40k miles). As I am retired and with plenty of time I thought I would renew the gasket myself and at the same time replace the cambelt/waterpump. So far I have got a quote from a Peugeot dealer of 189 for all the parts including antifreeze and started reading up in my Haynes manual. However, the picture of the cam shaft pulleys on my engine is different to that in the manual and one appears to have a large nut on it and the inscription "lock" near it. Any suggestions?

img_0705.jpg
dorsetpeugeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-15, 10:37 AM   #2

That is a vvt pulley it varies the cam timing but it should lock in the same way as older type

I believe on that engine the cams need to come out when removing the head so just time it up mark them with tipex or similar then remove when you go to rebuild someone will know how its done.
Old 01-03-15, 06:24 PM   #3
Inactive User

Well according to the Haynes manual a VVT engine is chain driven although I am prepared to believe that I have a VVT with cambelt. The problem is that my Haynes manual is obviously not much use for this job. Can anyone point me at any other source of info?

Thanks

Old 01-03-15, 07:28 PM   #4

VTI is chain (Prince engine) VVT is belt (TU based engine).

There is some info on this site regarding timing for cam changes which may help, not done one my self so not 100% is correct.

206 1.4 16v VVT Cams - Page 2
Old 02-03-15, 05:06 PM   #5

keyed cams are so much easier, i always mark up everything with a tad of spray paint and masking tape, gives nice sharp lines.
and dont know what the book says but i always get the pistons level before locking off just in case.
should be marked somwhere, but 4 marked sticks down each pot helps
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-15, 07:46 AM   #6

dorsetpeugeo, did you change your head gasket ?
was it hard to do ?,
did you have a recon head or did you just refit old head ?
your see I've put up a few threads re my daughters car, looks like the head gasket has gone as rocker boxes have "mayo2 in them, i can see it after taking off the oil filler cap and the rocker box breather pipes

was it easy to get parts, as I'm finding ebay not very helpful regarding 1.4 16Valve cylinder heads
goatie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-15, 09:20 AM   #7
Inactive User

Actually I haven't done the job yet, I have a small oil leak which I can live with, however I am planning to do the cambelt and waterpump after Xmas and have the parts here already. I had trouble determining which parts to get too. Eurocar parts had three different brands at different prices and I found various suppliers on eBay so I eventually went to the local Peugeot dealer and I have a cambelt kit including tensioners and a waterpump which came to 98. About the same price and at least I know it's the right one for the particular car. I suggest you do the same. With stuff like this it's easy to end up buying something that might not fit your engine, I know that manufacturers make changes during production runs which motor factors are not necessarily aware of.
Old 16-12-15, 10:05 AM   #8

thanks for reply
think my one's head gasket has blown, as think they suggest skimmed or recon head, but can't find any thing using ebay or gogle
goatie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-15, 10:14 AM   #9
Inactive User

The problem with the 16v engine is that you have to take the camshafts out to get to the head bolts, this makes it a much bigger job. I spoke to a local garage about doing it and they wanted around 760 which included a skim "if required" not sure how they decide if it is or not.

Might be worth looking at this Why skim a cylinder head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in