207, 1.4, 16V - "anti pollution faulty" - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 207
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-15, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 207, 1.4, 16V - "anti pollution faulty"

First time poster and a bit of a novice, so please bear with me!
So, I was driving home in Tuesday night when my display flashed up "anti pollution faulty" and the engine management light came on - also, weirdly the fuel consumption indicator has risen from 174 miles to 224 miles available?! Car has also been a bit stuttery/jumpy for a few days, but thought nothing of it- maybe it's a different issue?
Get back and the cooling fan is on, so partner checks radiator water and it's below minimum...it was MOT'd in September and the coolant wasn't noted as being low (I've just rang the garage that did it for me and he said he would have noted it on the advisory if it was low).
So, we top it up, and leave it overnight. Yesterday morning I get in and the fan kicks in straight away, so I jumped out and walked! Spoke to the mechanic we use and he said it could be the "thermostat housing and sensor"? I posted on a different forum and got told it could be a head gasket, but I thought (and I may be wrong) that the car wouldn't start of the head gasket was gone?
I got told not to drive it incase I make it worse before the mechanic gets here to check it, but didn't know if you guys had any ideas or have come across this before?
Oh, it's an 09 plate, with 54,000 miles on.
Thank you
Elasticjedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-15, 11:19 AM   #2

that is a generic phrase the car uses and can mean lots of things you need to get it on planet/diagbox see here https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...members-83170/
Old 03-12-15, 12:50 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thank you - bit of an update, mechanic has just been to check the car. He reved the engine and white smoke poured out of the exhaust, checked the oil cap and it was covered in white gunk, released the pressure in the radiator and the fan went off. Explained about how the HG is made up, with the Pistons, and said the water in mine is mixed with the oil, so it's burnt through (?)
Said he can replace the head gasket and do oil change for 375 but then mentioned a liquid sealant called Steel seal? Has anybody heard of it at all? He said he'll run it through and it will 'fix' it. Said if it doesn't work, he'll deduct the price of it (125) off the price of a new gasket so I don't lose out. What do you think? Worth it or shall I just go straight for the head gasket? Thank you all

Old 03-12-15, 01:09 PM   #4

you could buy that and try it your self LIQUID STEEL GASKET SEAL SEALANT BLOWN HEAD CYLINDER BLOCK REPAIR PETROL DIESEL | eBay
Old 03-12-15, 01:23 PM   #5

Had exactly same a few weeks ago,juddering,anti-pollution fault,fan running all time.Ended up being a new set of spark plugs.
shep64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-15, 01:30 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks both - maybe it's spark plugs as well, I don't know, but there was definite white gunk in the oil cap, which even I know isn't good!
I would try it myself, but I don't have the first clue how to go about it, was really wondering if it's worth it, or if I should go straight for the gasket...I need to be able to trust the car as the children are in it daily.
Old 03-12-15, 01:42 PM   #7

guess its a k-seal type of thing which i have used in the past, a bit hit and miss , can last a month or many years.
works ok for coolant into oil or leaking out of block but no good for gasses into coolant or oil into coolant i have found.

i would go for HG repair if the car is decent, seems a fair price as you will have a new cambelt also.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-15, 02:00 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe88 View Post
guess its a k-seal type of thing which i have used in the past, a bit hit and miss , can last a month or many years.
works ok for coolant into oil or leaking out of block but no good for gasses into coolant or oil into coolant i have found.

i would go for HG repair if the car is decent, seems a fair price as you will have a new cambelt also.
Thanks, it is water in the oil in this case, but I'm reluctant if it's only a 'short' term fix. Just spoken to mechanic again and mine is a chain, so wouldn't that be changed? Sorry, I literally know nothing about cars unfortunately.
Old 03-12-15, 07:39 PM   #9

i know what your saying, can be fine and decide to give when your on your holidays hundreds of miles from home in a year or so, but you could keep a spare bottle to put in for emergency.

would let your mechanic check the chain and tensioner, but if engine runs fine and no cold rattle noise it may be ok for a time although seems many are past their best by 70k or so, comes down to money in the end.
stripe88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-15, 09:08 PM   #10

My opinion for what it's worth is that these 'miracle' cures are a bit like the old snake oil remedies that got peddled way back when. At best they are good for a quick fix to keep it going for a short time until you can arrange a proper permanent fix and at worst they do absolutely nothing and turn out to be a waste of money. Yes the quick fix could last quite some time but you could bank on it giving up at the worst possible moment as stripe88 has already said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in