Car just stopped - fuel related - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 206
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-19, 08:51 PM   #1

Question Car just stopped - fuel related

Hi

Driving a 206, 1.1i registered in 2002 so not worth a lot and barely gets used therefore looking at a cheaper fix. I checked there was petrol in it btw

Was always fine, a good little runner however whilst moving in slow traffic it gave up and stopped. Called the Green Flag man who did something under the bonnet, sprayed something and it would fire therefore he said it was the fuel pump. Then just carried the car home.

The pump doesnt make a noise when first turning the key and turning the ignition does not fire up. I do not believe it has a fuel cut off switch and I have checked the fuses and they appear to be fine. I tried a cheap OBD2 scanner which identified it as P0461 code which is Fuel Tank level sensor however I know those scanners arent completely reliable and the fuel gauge is registering a quarter of a tank.

Please can anyone advise of the steps I should take to locate the problem?
I have located the fuel tank under the back seat and taken the cable out. I have a basic multimeter therefore I believe I can check the power and the fuel pump unit however please can someone advise how I do that and what readings I should expect?

Im expecting to just replace the fuel pump unit. It looks simple enough from YouTube videos but I would also appreciate it if anyone could give me any warnings of reasons why this might not be as easy as it looks?

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to the responses
readings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-19, 10:30 AM   #2

In most cases changing a fuel pump is just a matter of loosing some bolts. However, a mechancial pump is easier than a electric fuel pump to change. Also depends how easy you can reach the pump, in some cases you need to remove the fuel hoses etc. And make sure you don't spill fuel!
AnWin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-19, 06:14 PM   #3

Hi there,

Sounds like you need a new breakdown provider, as I would have hoped the mechanic would have diagnosed things a little better than that.

As its a French car, im not convinced its definately the fuel pump unfortunately....and its not always easy to get to the exact issue!

To check the fuel pump is working you can lift the rear seat as you have and remove that rectangle connector with 4 wires. the 2 larger wires are the 12v supply to the pump.

If you have a spare battery you can rig up 2 wires and carefully put 12v onto those 2 larger wires and if the pump is electically okay, you will hear it start up and run......

Make sure you definately get the wires on the terminals and if it starts the fuel pump, it means its spinning, but you still want to know its delivering 40-50psi at the fuel rail, so you will need to check that with a guage if possible.

If no sound from that test....you need to undo the larger plastic ring lock, its threaded and pretty tricky, and you will need to tap it with a mallet and a strip of wood to avoid damage or sparks!

when fully undone, lift out the full assembly (undo the black hose connections first) and let the fuel drain back to the tank.

This is the assembly you need to replace.

If the pump is good....its a whole lot of checking for other stuff!
Markdas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-19, 07:03 PM   #4

Around that age they had fuel filters has it ever been changed, it could be blocked restricting fuel flow. Do you know what fuel system you have single point (no visible injectors) or multi point.
Old 11-07-19, 07:09 PM   #5

Good point, sorry, I am throwing out advice based on my saga with a 2007 model 206 1.4 8v........
Markdas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in