Question regarding towing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 2008 > 2008 (2013-2019)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-19, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Question regarding towing

Pretty sure I know what the replies will state but here goes anyways.

Has anyone any experience or even considered towing with a 1.2l 82 bhp petrol version of the 2008 ?

The plate on the pillar shows the following.........

1582 kg
2362 kg
1 900 kg
2 860 kg

I believe these are in order, Gross vehicle weight, Gross train weight, Max axle load front & Max axle load rear.

If my understanding is correct the recommended trailer weight would be 780 kg

The car can struggle with just me sat in it and when loaded with my camping gear, me, the wife and the dog I have had to drop down to 2nd gear to get up some hills. I have no idea how much weight I am adding so cannot use that as a guide. Either way, I'm not too sure if towing a 700kg trailer would be a good idea .

If anyone can confirm or correct my understanding of the numbers on the plate I would appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-19, 12:50 PM   #2

You are sort of right the normal format is
1 kerb weight (SOMETIMES it is including occupants etc )
2 maximum authorised mass or gross train weight means same thing !
3 maximum load on front axle
4 maximum load on rear axle

So in your case the maximum weight of car trailer AND occupants should not exceed the 2362 kg which is pretty low ! 4 large adults would have you there !

Problem is its not really as simple as that and you can LEGALLY tow more than your vehicle weighs and most towing rules regarding cars are recommendations NOT law.

Its all as clear as mud and the main thing to consider is if YOU are confident/competent doing what your doing and if you are then your fine.
Old 05-08-19, 05:07 PM   #3

Your car's maximum permissable towing weight is normally shown on the vehicles V5 (after a certain year). For instance, on my Mondeos V5 the maximum towing capacity is 1800Kg - which is quite a lot for a "normal" family car. It does not really match the figures on the car's plate. That is, I believe, becuase the max towing weight is a "homologated weight", not a theoritical weight. Though I stand to be corrected on this by anyone with more knowledge.

This website may help

https://towcar.info/GB/towing-advise.php

Just plug in your car details. It seems a 1.2l 2008 can tow anything from a maximum of 450kg up to 1100kg, dependant on exact model.

I tow quite a lot (Racecar behind the Ford Mondeo). My advice is make sure that the gross trailer rate isn't anymore that about 85% of the gross weight of the car (not absolute "law" but the trailer tends to steer the car otherwise, that is not pleasant at all). Also that you apply the correct nosewight to the trailer. I've found it makes a huge difference to get this right. I've "guesstimated" before, and it towed hideously. Then stopping, readjusting and applying the correct noseweight (in our case 75Kg), the rig settled down and towed just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133

Last edited by Chirpycat; 05-08-19 at 05:23 PM.
Chirpycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-19, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Its all as clear as mud and the main thing to consider is if YOU are confident/competent doing what your doing and if you are then your fine.
If you have a towing licence!

Post 1997 licences are restricted as such.....

"If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM

tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg"

You're right, talk about muddying the waters LOL.

Anything with a gross train weight of over 3.5t with a trailer of more than 750kg would need a towing licence (B+E or C+E). Someone attemting to tow a heavy caravan, with a Range Rover, would fall foul of this on a post 97 licence.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133

Last edited by Chirpycat; 06-08-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-08-19, 07:08 PM   #5

Yes that is correct in so much as younger drivers/new licenses need to stay below 3500kg but even that is confusing in its wording.

I have towed things all over this country some well overweight in theory according to the rules as they stand BUT i have only been stopped once in all the years i have been towing and even then i had better knowledge of the rules than they did and they reluctantly conceded my rig was fine

Most cars tow weight on the V5 bear no relation to the chassis plates it just adds to the confusion i have 2 mondeos
1 a 2 litre mk3 can tow 1800kg according to the v5
2 a 1.6 mk4 can tow 1600kg but both weigh roughly the same kerb weight.

Problem is where the 2 litre could easily pull 2000 kg the 1.6 struggles to pull itself !
Old 06-08-19, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post

Most cars tow weight on the V5 bear no relation to the chassis plates it just adds to the confusion i have 2 mondeos
1 a 2 litre mk3 can tow 1800kg according to the v5
2 a 1.6 mk4 can tow 1600kg but both weigh roughly the same kerb weight.

Problem is where the 2 litre could easily pull 2000 kg the 1.6 struggles to pull itself !
Yes, indeed, the permitted towing weight may not bear relation to the chassis plates. After 1998 cars had to be "homologated" for towing - ie the manufacturer had to test and seek approval for the cars suitability for towing, and that is when max permitted towing weights appeared on the V5 I think.

This is why some cars (like the 2008 as above) have various differing weights dependant on model etc - not necessarily to do with engine size.

Yeah, I've pulled overweight, just not a pleasant experience.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133
Old 06-08-19, 11:23 AM   #7

Thanks for all the responses, not quite what I expected. I thought everyone would respond with something like 'Don't do it, the car isn't capable'

In response to various statements................

I got my license around 1978 and according to the driving record service website I can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg which to reads a total of 7000kg.

I didn't know the towing weights were on the V5. Checked mine and it states 1100kg braked & 560 unbraked as the maximum permissible towable mass of the trailer.

As for the plate on the pillar, I read that if it wasn't approved for towwing the second line would be blank.

I followed the link from Chirpycat (thanks) and it shows 3 different values for the 1.2l puretech with no differentiation so impossible to know which is the correct weight. One of the values does match the V5 in the 85% column though.

Choose the correct noseweight. Yes, I've read this before but have no idea what the recommended nose weight of the 2008 is. I also cannot find info about the nose weight of the trailer tent I want to purchase so I'm a bit stumped in that category. After re-reading the post, it seems that it all depends how you distribute the load in the trailer. As I'm looking to get a trailer tent most of the weight isn't adjustable though I will be keeping some extra camping items in the trailer but will be looking to distribute as evenly as possible. Still don't know the nose weight of the trailer with nothing extra added though.

The trailer tent I'm looking at appears to to be 425kg and max weight of 750kg. It is unbraked though so I could only add another 135kg in or on the trailer.

Old 06-08-19, 01:50 PM   #8

Finally found the nose weight. Dug out the manual and all the info was in there. Most wasn't listed in the index as I expected so I thought the info hadn't been put in. Turns out it's 51kg

Old 06-08-19, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
I got my license around 1978 and according to the driving record service website I can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) with up to 8 passenger seats and a driver with a trailer weighing up to 3,500kg which to reads a total of 7000kg.
So yes, you should have a "+E" on your licence, either C+E or B+E. The "+E" is your towing licence effectively, and like me, you have "grandad rights" to that.

Quote:
I didn't know the towing weights were on the V5. Checked mine and it states 1100kg braked & 560 unbraked as the maximum permissible towable mass of the trailer.

I followed the link from Chirpycat (thanks) and it shows 3 different values for the 1.2l puretech with no differentiation so impossible to know which is the correct weight. One of the values does match the V5 in the 85% column though.
The V5 is the correct one - always go by that, it is issued by DVLA, not a third party website, which may not be 100% accurate.

Quote:
Choose the correct noseweight. Yes, I've read this before but have no idea what the recommended nose weight of the 2008 is. I also cannot find info about the nose weight of the trailer tent I want to purchase so I'm a bit stumped in that category. After re-reading the post, it seems that it all depends how you distribute the load in the trailer. As I'm looking to get a trailer tent most of the weight isn't adjustable though I will be keeping some extra camping items in the trailer but will be looking to distribute as evenly as possible. Still don't know the nose weight of the trailer with nothing extra added though.
Noseweight is unique to the towing vehicle, not the particular trailer. In essence it is the force pushing down on the towing hitch when the trailer is loaded and hitched up. Think of your trailers axle as a fulcrum, if you add weight (by loading your groceries and toilet rolls) to the rear, your noseweight will lesson, but loading in front of the axle, the noseweight will increase.

If a trailer is too heavy at the towing hitch, the rear of your towing vehicle will be "pushed down" and the front lifted (light horrible steering) and if your too light at the towing hitch, the trailer will tend to raise the rear of your car, leading to lack of grip at rear. Therefore your car manufacturer will recommend a particular "noseweight" for a trailer (it will be the same for all trailers you hitch to that particular vehicle). It is normally in the handbook under towing. if not, a call to Peugeot dealer, or Peugeot themselves may help. (Sorry - just realised this post crossed with your one above)

To measure it I use a noseweight gauge similar to this....(not a recommendation for this particular one - just found it as an illustration)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-MAYPO...IAAOSw~5ZcSMkp

To be fair, on a 750kg unbraked - it probably isn't going to make an awful lot of difference, though the car is quite light and small. It makes a huge difference when pulling something heavy like our race car.

Quote:
The trailer tent I'm looking at appears to to be 425kg and max weight of 750kg. It is unbraked though so I could only add another 135kg in or on the trailer.
Correct, if your max towing weight is 560kg, and the trailer is already 425kg (and unbraked), you can add 135kg of groceries, collapsible canvas TV, and toilet rolls. Where you put them will substantially effect noseweight, of course - that is the art of trailer loading. With the Racecar, I simply move it back and forth a few inches to get required noseweight.

Finally remember to use the correct tyre pressures on the car, a badly inflated tyre can also feel even more horrible than normal when towing

Hopefully this helps somewhat - and as always I stand to be corrected by those with more knowledge.

Tony
207cc GT 1.6Hdi 2007

******HZC33776133

Last edited by Chirpycat; 06-08-19 at 02:12 PM. Reason: 'cause I can, so there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in