Problem after oil filler cap came off while driving - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 2008 > 2008 (2013-2019)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Lee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-19, 07:10 AM   #1

Default Problem after oil filler cap came off while driving

Hi..
My girlfriend lost her oil filler cap - which came off at some point whilst driving. After the low oil warning , she pulled over to discover oil everywhere under the bonnet all over the engine. I advised her to not drive it and get towed to a garage for engine clean up and new oil cap. She did this. The breakdown guy turned up and made a makeshift cap to get her the 5/6 miles or so to the garage. The engine seemed fine and was running like normal.
This happened to be a Peugeot dealership.
They got cap sorted, but when she replaced and started car it was running lumpy as hell on idle.
The dealers said they could look at it - which they will today.. I am wondering :
Does it just need a good proper clean?
Has an electronic fault occurred that just needs clearing? Has the breakdown guy loosened a pipe or something that has worked loose now??
I am not a mechanic and have no idea so am just putting it out there....
The dealers have said they will clean up properly and do a scan for 150.. sounds pricey but I know what dealers are like so wasn’t shocked to be honest.. all I don’t want is her to be charged unnecessarily with work/ parts that are not needed...
Any ideas guys??
Be greatly appreciated..
Cheers 👍👍
Senna1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-19, 10:41 AM   #2

What engine if it's a VTI it may just need a run as the engine may have adapted to the cap being off and engine drawing in addition air via the engine breather system and it needs to relearn correct values

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-19, 02:57 PM   #3

I take it the oil has been topped back up to the correct level?
noddy-hol likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in