Driving an EGC Gearbox, tips please - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 2008 > 2008 (2013-2019)
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-18, 08:46 AM   #1

Default Driving an EGC Gearbox, tips please

Hello all, first post.

As the proud owner of a new-to-me 2015 1.2 petrol Allure 2008 in white I am having great difficulty with the EGC Semi-automatic gearbox.

It's just great at speed, the auto gearchanges are smooth and the flappy paddles are great for dropping the odd gear etc.

But at really slow speed and when trying to start off quickly (into a stream of traffic for example) the car hesitates, with significant gaps before the power cuts in (both A and M modes) and at walking pace or in slow traffic it tends to 'surge', I cannot get it to drive smoothly as the auto clutch engages and disengages constantly (and then of course the engine switches off!).

For those familiar with the gearbox any help gratefully received, I love the car otherwise.
dhphoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-05-18, 06:18 PM   #2

Nobody has an issue with the EGC gearbox at all?
Or does nobody visit?
Old 18-05-18, 09:17 AM   #3

Not had any issues but then mine is a Hybrid4 so the electric motor is used for pulling away and fills in when changing gear so it is smooth.
Blaster63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-18, 06:14 AM   #4

Does anybody have a foolproof way of 'rebooting' the EGC gearbox?

Mine is just hideous at low speed, almost undrivable
Old 12-06-18, 06:52 AM   #5

I have EGC and it took me several weeks getting used to it

The starting into traffic is more artful than a manual first thing is i always glance itís dropped into first something that does not happen every time especially at give ways as opposed to a full stop. As you say use the paddle drop it into 1st. As you pull out i keep the gas pressed fairly hard, when i bought it i would think i was accelerating too fast and ease the pressure soon as i did that car would change up this meant it harder to catch other cars

The one thing i find really odd is steeper hills ie car pulls off in 1st and virtually changes up immediately if i am in slow moving stop start traffic i prefer manual and leave it in 1st gear until i feel traffic will flow

You donít mention stop start, i find the car works better in traffic if stop start is on especially if your below say 8mph try trusting the box

At the risk of sounding stupid make sure the engine has the correct viscosity oil and appropriate filter the engine needs free flow my car is 0w30 main dealers on occasion use 5w30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-18, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
I have EGC and it took me several weeks getting used to it

The starting into traffic is more artful than a manual first thing is i always glance itís dropped into first something that does not happen every time especially at give ways as opposed to a full stop. As you say use the paddle drop it into 1st. As you pull out i keep the gas pressed fairly hard, when i bought it i would think i was accelerating too fast and ease the pressure soon as i did that car would change up this meant it harder to catch other cars

The one thing i find really odd is steeper hills ie car pulls off in 1st and virtually changes up immediately if i am in slow moving stop start traffic i prefer manual and leave it in 1st gear until i feel traffic will flow

You donít mention stop start, i find the car works better in traffic if stop start is on especially if your below say 8mph try trusting the box

At the risk of sounding stupid make sure the engine has the correct viscosity oil and appropriate filter the engine needs free flow my car is 0w30 main dealers on occasion use 5w30

Thanks for your comments, really useful.

At speed the car is lovely, it's the smallest petrol engine so there's a lot of gear changing but it's still quite powerful and fast.

It's at walking speed and particularly puling out into traffic where there is a problem. I like stop/start but when you're pulling out in a hurry it takes too long to fire up the engine and start to move and then there is the dreaded delay before it actually moves, dangerous!

I have been using Manual mode in these situations which seems better but you just shouldn't have to in a modern car! The gearbox is virtually unfit for purpose and trying to reverse up a hill is practically impossible
Old 12-06-18, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhphoto View Post
Thanks for your comments, really useful.

At speed the car is lovely, it's the smallest petrol engine so there's a lot of gear changing but it's still quite powerful and fast.

It's at walking speed and particularly puling out into traffic where there is a problem. I like stop/start but when you're pulling out in a hurry it takes too long to fire up the engine and start to move and then there is the dreaded delay before it actually moves, dangerous!

I have been using Manual mode in these situations which seems better but you just shouldn't have to in a modern car! The gearbox is virtually unfit for purpose and trying to reverse up a hill is practically impossible
Some good point and must admit Iíve not had cause yet for reversing on a steep hill so Iíll have to find somewhere to give it a go.

The delay you refer on setting off my experience was my car had a pre delivery service the garage did in fact confirm it was 5w30 oil about 6 weeks later i had a full service and double checked the 0w30 oil was in plus on my car the stop start needs a different oil filter within a week the stop start was in terms of pulling off much better.

I guess when we think of egc we go tend also to think of automatic boxes which ours is not, my former fully auto cars certainly never had the brilliant overtaking reliable paddles love that feature on mine

I doubt its the smaller engine causing the delay probably something else another thought if you live in a hilly area is the 3 second hill assist from the handbrake! Again my car when i got it needed a brake service (30k miles) the handbrake was marginally slackened this made pulling out when hill assist was in action smother

Youíll find many of us dont use main dealers i have found a really good garage who has worked with me and sorted some niggles

Hope you can get confidence in yours

Must try a hill reverse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-18, 07:56 AM   #8

Thanks again. Try and find a smallish parking space on a hill and reverse into it, an interesting experience in my car! Trying to get it to move slowly uphill in reverse is challenging to say the least.

Mine wasn't new, 3 years old with only 5,000 on it and one elderly owner, who clearly had issues so didn't use it much.

It's a shame because otherwise the car is great and with almost ever available option including satnav and heated seats.

I bought it from a main Peugeot dealer with a year warranty so I can't go to a different dealer yet, they've had it back to reset the gearbox and update software but it make no difference at all.
Old 12-06-18, 01:00 PM   #9

Mmm well just guessing but as the car was used so little it might take a while to settle in. I would consider topping up with one of the premium fuels from shell or bp for a tank or 2 might be good for the injectors from what friends have told me

Hope it works out okayfor you

Old 18-06-18, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
Mmm well just guessing but as the car was used so little it might take a while to settle in. I would consider topping up with one of the premium fuels from shell or bp for a tank or 2 might be good for the injectors from what friends have told me

Hope it works out okayfor you
Have to compliment you, using premium petrol has made quite a difference.
Whether it has cleared the jets out or just improved the performance it's a good bit peppier after a couple of tankfuls

It's not just top end sports cars that benefit it seems it's also tiny little 3 cylinder lumps too
border_all likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in