Peugeot Forums banner

Peugeot 307 Automatic Gear Stuck in Gear 3

21K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  IanML 
#1 ·
Hello Peugeot Enthusiasts,

My car is Peugeot 307 1.6 16V 110PS Petrol Engine with Automatic Transmission (AL4) that has done only 55640 miles (89544 kilometers) on it.

I got "Gear Box Faulty" on Dashboard and noticed sluggish movement. Took it to a garage and we found there was no transmission oil (ATF) because driveshaft seal was leaking.

We changed seal, flushed ATF (because it was black after top up) and car would only enter only enter gear 3 in manual mode now. I would have to change to gear 2 for car to move at all, then it would not move when you change to 3 but when you slow down, it will change from 2 to 1 and finally to D even though you are in manual mode.

On automatic mode, D would not move until revved hard, then gear engages 3 in manual mode by itself and would have to manually change to 2 and the above process is repeated.

We scan and results are as follows:

U1313: Incorrect rear R hand wheel speed transmittal by ABS
U1313: Incorrect rear L hand wheel speed transmittal by ABS
0721: Vehicle Speed Information
0717: Gearbox Input Speed Signal

I should really appreciate your experience and expertise as I love this car!

Many thanks,
Topy

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

Updated information:

The garage did not check ATF oil level properly. They checked while engine was not running and topped with Dextron III instead of Mobil LT71141.

Error after scanning are:

U1313: Incorrect rear Right and Left hand wheel speed transmitted by ABS

Gear is stacked in 3 in manual mode

Any further tips, advise or experience?

#6 ·
If the clutches are burnt its a new box or recon

If it was a FRONT abs sensor then yes it would affect the box but it does not use the rear sensor readings your rear sensors just need the rust removed from under them common issue on 307/308

#7 ·
How do we know whether or not the clutches are burnt? Are there specific fault codes for that as the diag has not produced those faults.

Also, the link I shared also pointed rear ABS as culprit for gear misbehaving?

What further thought can you help with? Or do you require further information?

Many thanks for the assistance.

#8 ·
Best thing to do is sort the rear sensors the gaps will be too big then see if it fixes your issues personally i doubt it having seen these boxes in bits i know how bad they can get if run low in oil

You dont get fault codes for mechanical issues only electrical issues give fault codes.

#10 ·
Experience changing 307 Automatic GearBox (AL4)

Hello:

I changed the gearbox (AL4) yesterday and car moved fine- gears changed when gear is in D (Drive).

My new concerns are:

1. These seems to be a forced engagement of gear typified by a noise like two things smashing together occasionally when I stop at traffic light or stop due to traffic. I has happened about 4 times since we installed the al4 automatic gear yesterday.

2. Rear ABS fault is still showing on dashbaord

3. In stationary mode - manual change only change 1, 2 3 but would not change to gear 4. Gear installer said this is how al4 gear works. That it will only change to 4 while in motion - is this true? Previous gear shows 1-4 while stationary and you engage gears in manual mode.

Any experience, tips, advice would be appreciated as it could save me money before I certified job is completed and make final payments.

Thanks

#12 ·
As long as the box shifts to 4th when over 45 mph or so then it will be fine im not sure you can select 4th manually unless moving i will check later i dont generally use the manual section i dont see the point in changing an auto manually !

Banging you are experiencing is down to the gearbox ecu not controlling the solenoids properly if its a new/recon box it will just need time if its a used box it might be worth resetting gearbox ecu to virgin so that it relearns your driving style

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.