Peugeot Forums banner

Would value anyones comments

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Ginger Magic 
#1 ·
I wonder if you could give me any help or advice on two matters. This is for my 2003 406 2.2 HDi which is really clean and had done 88k. My previous identical car cleared 150k before I sold it and I've two concerns - the firs immediate.
1) the rear hub back plates are like a lace curtain- can you recommend any supplier of a new or good used parts please? (wierd this as the last car's were nearly perfect when I sold it on and the current car is rust free underside apart from these back plates)

2) This car's power is not as smooth as the previous one - a niggle. The engine must be good - it knocks out more mpg than the last and I paid to have the car and fuel system checked by a P. main dealer (- but in truth it was like visiting an asylum)
Where it's difference shows is between 1400 and 2000 rpm:- if accelerating hard the engine rumbles. Its not dreadful and by changing up gear above say, 1900 rpm or using a gentle accelerator I generally avoid concerns. However ,as a said , the previous car with 150k would pick-up like a dream from 1500rpm.
One more trusted non-Peugeot garage I lent the car to said the DM flywheel could be starting to go but they said it so slight I should try and live with it. Personally I wonder if one injector is playing up (a streak/scar on the inside of the plastic engine cover tells me that at some point the previous owner perhaps had a seal replaced on no. 3 injector.)
I'm a skilled apprentice served mech. engineer (1983) and can make/build nearly anything- but if you can help me with any of the above I'd be more than grateful

Regards

Nigel

See less See more
G
#5 ·
New back plates are available from a Peugeot main stealer for £90 each, second hand they are like hens teeth...
I'll get the part number for you when I'm at home on my PC.
If you add your location to your profile then maybe someone local can do diagnostic for beer tokens, this can identify injector issues etc.
Kelv.

#7 ·
back plates

Backplates

Ive now ordered a pair of back plates from klokkerholm today - through a uk agent they named- will be around 10 days. Massive saving on the old Peugeot main dealer price - although I suspect I'll have to salvage the forging which is the mount for the calliper.

Note main dealer say the back plates no longer sold

G
#8 ·
The caliper mounts are riveted on, just grind them off of the old backplates.

You will almost certainly need new rear hubs too as the old ones can break when removed, you need the 48 teeth version ( around £45 from local factors.. )

#9 ·
Back plates

thank for the advice - Ill change the hubs.

I saw you had a clutch change at an amazing price - was this the 2.2 car?
It would be good to know of any garage I could approach nr Bournemouth to get a comparable service

Regards

NGM

G
#10 ·
It was my 2.2 406, and I was lucky that a member on a different forum spotted the clutch and sent me a link, the flywheel was a Carparts4less LUK model but I used an online discount code :thumb:

I would not use the garage I did for the clutch, my car hasn't been right since - I should have used my regular Pug mechanic but I tried to save a few pounds, which I regret...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.